Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

School Bus Yellow... A good paint choice?

Nick

As I saw a School Bus go past the house, I was thinking do all you think School Bus yellow is a good choice to repaint my B-110? I found a spot on the tractor that was not faded and It looks like it may match up. I just want to get all of your opinions.

I guess the secret here is. What ever floats your boat. If you think its close and are happy with it that is all that counts.

No way man, you have to have a computer-matched frequency analized exact match of the original paint or you're out of the club........ LOL Having been here for about a year and a half, I've seen that the only rule of paint is that there are no rules. You get as close as you can and call it good. My 2012 project is getting painted Lead free Powder Orange, though I'm sure that wasn't the original color. There seem to have been several shades used on both Simplicity and AC tractors. Get as close as you can and call it good.....

I'm with the daddycat, My b12 is kindof a machinery yellow and the 10 is rustoleum yellow [witch I like better] It looks good to me to see different shades.

Hi Nick, I started my latest B10 early, with the school bus yellow. It just did not look right. So I went back to Cat. yellow which is more muted and looks better, to me. This first pic. shows the machine with the school bus yellow as I was testing the color. And, the color is actually brighter than the pic. shows it to be. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/arjr111/P4020004.jpg[/img] This pic. shows Cat. yellow. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/arjr111/Early%20B10%20-%20After.aJPG.JPG[/img] Be sure to post a pic, and let us see how it comes out.

I like the way the Cat yellow looks. I think I'll go with that. Here is the other things I have painted, or attempted to paint so far: It appears after peeling of the decals of the air filter cover I noticed it wasn't Chrome for some reason. It was semi gloss black. Maybe an after market air filter cover? I was looking at the brochures for the B-110 and saw it was chrome, So I ended up painting it with Rust Oleum's chrome paint. I painted the starter/generator Semi gloss black. It looks good as new! I primed the Rear rims Friday night, I painted them this morning with Rust Oleum white. The paint started getting these "pot marks" and the paint started dripping! I was holding the can the right distance, and not spraying it on too heavy. who the heck knows what happened. Maybe a bad can? So I ended up wiping it all down with paint stripper. Hey, maybe it's a sign that I need to paint the rims the more accurate off white.

quote:
The paint started getting these "pot marks" and the paint started dripping!
Yeah, that always happens to me when I paint rims. I think it is a tendency to want to get done, and perhaps a little heavy spraying. You may want to try rustoleum shell white for the rims. This is a pic of my B207 with cat. yellow with rustoleum gloss white rims. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/arjr111/00_00001_4.JPG[/img] This is cat. yellow and shell white dash and rims on the B10. More muted but I think a little easier on the eye. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/arjr111/b10after.JPG[/img] Look forward to seeing your finished machine...

I just had Ace Hardware do a color match for me on my Broadmoor 717.They have a thing that takes a picture of a part you bring to them and then it will give the formula to mix the paint.I done just a quart to start with and it only cost me $6 and some change.

Nick, I went the same route Art did (although I won't claim that my results camee out near as good). Had a bunch of Cat yellow lying around anyway. It's not perfect, but I wasn't looking for perfect. The paint is tough and comes in quarts, gallons, and....yippee!!!...spray cans! Find an NC/Caterpillar dealer in your area...they'll have several cases of the cans at $5-$7 bucks a piece. One note...there's "old" Cat yellow and "new" Cat yellow. I used the "new," and it's more available. Can't complain about the looks, and it doesn't "bite" you like the school bus shades.

MY TWO CENTS: Nick, when I re-did my 2010 my local Ace dealer had the orange and I seem to remember them having an "ALLIS YELLOW" also, but I'm not positive. You may want to try them out if you have an Ace nearby. WARNING: If you do buy the Ace paint, use several thin coats and allow lots of drying time. It also is runny, but if the yellow is like the orange I used it's a dead on match to original. Good luck!

Here's the difference between the original paint on my 208, and the paint I bought at Tractor Supply called America's Best Paint. Equipment Yellow.

Thank you everyone for your opinions, I'll head over to ACE Hardware Saturday. I did a search for Tractor Supply, The closest location is in Catskill, NY which is an 1 1/2 hours north of me. To far to go just for paint. Hey Skott, I Believe your America's Best paint is made by Rust Oleum. Check the back back of the can to see if says Made for Tractor Supply by RPM (Rust Oleums parent company)

Nick, go to this link, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on "paint". Then check out the Cat yellow at $4.99 a can. I use it and it covers real well. You need about 4 to do the whole machine. [url]http://www.tractordecal.com/[/url]