Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

No hydro cooler

MTklein

I downloaded and printed the owners manual for the 3416H, and it show pics and talks about the hydro cooler and a long cylindrical fluid resovoir. My tractor does not have either, just the large fin that spins with the pulley that looks like it cools the whole unit. And I guess the fluid it integral in the pump casting? Is this right? Or, am I wrong in guessing what model I have, remember I have no decals or tags or man numbers on the unit.

The reason I am confused is that in the pics on this website, my tractor looks just like a 73 3416 and a 75 system 7016, does it not matter much because they use the same parts? Any small parts I have bought over the last couple days, I told them it was for a 3416, and they fit just fine.

The 7016 would have a Sundstrand hydro. No oil cooler or resovoir. Without going into the specifics of the appearance differences of each hydro, an easier way to tell would probably be with the hydro control lever. A simple lever would indicate a Sundstrand hydro. A squeeze lever on the hydro lever would indicate a Vickers hydro. The 3416 would have the Vickers and the 7016 would have the Sundstrand. Pat

This is the hydro from the 3310 H I just picked up last week. It is the Vickers unit.

This is the Sunstrand hydro in the 7114 I got last year.

whose yer daddy, daddy cat!! Thanks for the pics, All this time I thought I had a 3416 but your lower pic is exactly my setup, so it looks like I got me a 7000 series tractor instead. oh well as long as the parts match! Thanks to Pat also for the info that says it all what Cats pics show! So in the world of hydraulics Vickers vs. Sun. is one better or more rugged than the other? or are they both similiar in ways? Thanks

MT the Sunstrand parts are still available while the Vickers is now obsolete. That pretty much says it all. Larry

I like the "smoothness" of the Vickers over the sunstrand (I have both). I do NOT like the fact that the Vickers all leak around the control (pintle) shaft and that parts are NLA. There is a place that will rebuild the Vickers pumps in IL for $100, or at least they would a couple years ago. I think former president DLC also repairs the Vickers pumps. The hood decals you describe and hood style conflicts with it being a 7000 series and the Sunstrand. Sounds like you have a mixture. Maybe a 7000 series with a 3400 series hood or a repainted and re-decaled '75 System 7016????? Doesn't really matter because from what I can tell they are the same tractor except for the diffence in hydros. I suspect the 3410 and the first 7010's with 3 speeds were identical and that Simplicity only changed the model number because of the hydro change and the re-merger with AC for the 700 series AC's and the end of the 400 series AC's. Brent

I also have both and prefer the Vickers over the Sundstrand. I also prefer the transmission throwout on the Vickers tractors over the hydraulic bybass on the Sundstrand tractors. Pat