Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Problem with fuel filters

johnb110

Hello all... I've ran into this problem several times in the past and I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this. When I tune up my Tractors I often hook up a new fuel line temporarily before I install a fuel filter. Several times I've noticed after I cut in a new filter I run into fuel supply problems when it ran/started great before filter. Wondering if the gravity/suction feed is that touchy or am I maybe using too restrictive a filter. Maybe a differant type of filter(using regular small engine filters) like a screen type would be better. Opinions on this would be appreciated. Take care John

John, Good question! I have a similar problem, at times, on both my Big Ten and HB-216 where the gas line runs above the hydraulic lift controls. Both are using aftermarket clear filters (though not the same) and those plastic in-line shutoff valves. I was just thinking of re-routing one of those down below the hydraulic lift controls to see if this made a difference. I do know they're very sensitive with this gravity fed system. This past weekend, the first time I used the HB-216 since putting it back together, I had fuel starvation problems where I had the fuel line securing to the top hydraulic hose with a wire tie -- it would starve out at the near the upper part of my back yard on each round. I snipped the wire tie and let the line fall down about an inch, and the problem went away....

Last weekend I was working on my cub 102 because it would not start. It has a kohler k241 without a fuel pump.I R&Red the fuel line and the tractor started right away. I went to restart a few hours later and she would not start. I think there is an air bubble in it. It has an after market plastic nipple on the carb (that is about 1 inch long) so I don't know if if thats the prob or not. It also has a large plastic fuel filter on it. I am going to replace the filter and the nipple and see if that makes a difference. JH

Thanks guy's glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. Have a good weekend time to mow mow mow

The fuel systems are a bit touchy, particularly if the fuel tank is very close to the carburetor level. Briggs recommends a 150 micron filter for gravity systems, and a 60 or 75 micron filter for engines with a fuel pump. Pat