Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
GregB

Making / Repairing sickle bar parts.

GregB
Having broken the cutter bar that the sections rivet to this weekend, and missing Sandy Lake's last bar by one day:( I now have to fix or make a new bar. ( Or find a used one:), anyone?) Has anyone successfully welded a broken bar? It broke near the drive end, at a rivet hole. I could buy 1/4x3/4 steel(I think thats the right size)and drill a new bar. I guess though with all the holes I would probably have to make some kind of fixture to keep the holes aligned for the section rivets and to keep the right section spacing. Any ideas? Thanks, GregB

tmerideth
Greg, there was a post several months back that described a conversion plan to convert the old Simplicity Sickle Bar mowers to use newer, readily available blades and rock guards. It required making a new cutter bar and gave detailed instructions. Look under the do-it-yourself section, for sickle bar conversion. This might help you.

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by GregB
I guess though with all the holes I would probably have to make some kind of fixture to keep the holes aligned for the section rivets and to keep the right section spacing. Any ideas?
If you have to make your own bar, just clamp your bar to the new stock and drill through the holes. It will be in perfect alignment.

pacer
I welded the bar on my 7 ft twin wheel mower about 15 years ago and its holding up just fine. you need to clamp it to a benck and get it very straight. grind the weld back down to original size and it will work. Any welding shop will be able to do it, it's made of steel and easy to work with.