Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Making / Repairing sickle bar parts.

GregB

Having broken the cutter bar that the sections rivet to this weekend, and missing Sandy Lake's last bar by one day:( I now have to fix or make a new bar. ( Or find a used one:), anyone?) Has anyone successfully welded a broken bar? It broke near the drive end, at a rivet hole. I could buy 1/4x3/4 steel(I think thats the right size)and drill a new bar. I guess though with all the holes I would probably have to make some kind of fixture to keep the holes aligned for the section rivets and to keep the right section spacing. Any ideas? Thanks, GregB

Greg, there was a post several months back that described a conversion plan to convert the old Simplicity Sickle Bar mowers to use newer, readily available blades and rock guards. It required making a new cutter bar and gave detailed instructions. Look under the do-it-yourself section, for sickle bar conversion. This might help you.

quote:
Originally posted by GregB
I guess though with all the holes I would probably have to make some kind of fixture to keep the holes aligned for the section rivets and to keep the right section spacing. Any ideas?
If you have to make your own bar, just clamp your bar to the new stock and drill through the holes. It will be in perfect alignment.

I welded the bar on my 7 ft twin wheel mower about 15 years ago and its holding up just fine. you need to clamp it to a benck and get it very straight. grind the weld back down to original size and it will work. Any welding shop will be able to do it, it's made of steel and easy to work with.