Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Overhauling a 3112H Hydrostatic pump/motor

I just bought a Simplicity 3112H. It's apparently
about 30 yrs old judging from the engine S/N.
The hydrostatic pump unit leaks horribly around the
control shaft. A local dealer tells me that its a
Vickers unit and that parts are no longer available.

Does anyone know of a source other than Simplicity for
parts for this unit? Has anyone had experience
rebuilding one of these and would care to offer
advice?

Hi Wendell, Would you be interested in a good used one? Mean while I will do some checking on parts for you. Some of the vickers were real bad leakers and not just at the shaft. I will check with a friend to find out more and try to let you know tomorrow. I will either post it or e-mail you. Mean while maybe someone else hopefully will help you out. Good Luck->jackl->happyjack<-

Wendell, My freind Jack is right, parts are almost nonexistant for that hydro unit.Other than swinging a good used one in, what can and has been done is to take the unit apart and any good machinist can put bushings and seals in each end of control shaft housing for you. That might be the cheapest thing to do. I found that an o-ring, washer and a hose clamp on the rear of control shaft works for a while as a temporary fix. Good luck! dlc

Wendell,
You have encountered the one weak spot on a Vickers T-66. The pintle shaft bores wear out and then leak. Dave's suggestion regarding rebushing the bores is the accepted repair for this problem. While not cheap, it's about all that's a permanent solution. There is a hydro rebuilder locally who does this, and there must be others who can. If you are interested, this place does all the hydro work for Ariens and seems competant. I am not associated with them in any way.
John Camarlo
Quality Hydro, Inc.
111 Oakridge Drive
North Prairie, WI 53153
(414) 392-9852

Thanks to jackl, dlc, and Fred Olsen for the replies.
Looks like I will tackle the rebushing problem. If I
fix this leak, what are the chances that the rest of
the unit will function for a few years of lawn mowing?
Are there any other well known failure points?

Wendell, its definitely work fixing as I also have a 3212hydro and mine seems to leak everywhere. Just make sure that you keep the oil and filter maintained properly and of course the oil level if it starts leaking somewhere else. Also make sure to keep the trans cooler fins clean. This looks like a small raditor and has a fan the blows on it as mine was totally spugged when I gotit. While I had the cover off the cooler I replaced all of the hoses as a just in case deal. I really enjoy mine just make sure that you find someone competant to repair as you might only have one shot at it. "BEST of LUCK" to you-ok you other guys I must of put at least 5 cents in this time so add to it.-->jackl<--

OK, now you guys have me worried. I've just bought a used 3112H that seems to have a leak somewhere back in or near the hydro unit. Where do I look to see if my leak is what you're talking about, and what are you calling a bad leak? In a two week period, mine has darkened half of a newspaper page. How do I tell the vintage,and whether I have a Vickers unit?

Paul,
If that Sovereign is a 990499, or a 990500 if it has hydraulic lift, it should be a Vickers T-66. The quick way to tell is that the Vickers has vertical fins on both the pump (top) and motor sections, and the Sundstrand has radial fins on the top only. There are a lot of places a hydro and lift system can leak, and that much isn't too bad; well within the 'live with it' range. Wash off the unit with Gunk or another degreaser and run it to see where it's coming from. The most likely leak point on a Vickers is the pintle shaft bores. That's where the hydro control attaches to the unit. Check out the location of the leak and come back to talk it over. Just take care of that Vickers with clean oil and filter changes and it will run a long time. Parts, however, are getting hard to find.
Fred

• 4 weeks later...
This leak is caused by wear in the case at the front pintle shaft of the pump. There is a Simplicity Service bulletin about how to repair them. It rebushes the case. Important to dial in on the spot where the o-ring is as this is the unworn part of the case. Do not use oilite brgs. as they are porus and will leak with the pressure in the case from the charge pump. Since this is such a common problem I'll contact Simp service to see I can get permission to post this bulletin. We have done a number of these and the fix is better than original. Good luck AL