Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Grass Clippings in the deck

BDSchmidt

Has anyone figured out away to keep clippings from accumulating under the deck covers and building up around the pulleys, belt, etc while at the same time leaving the covers on? I have 3- 48" decks and 2 - 42" decks that all do the same thing. I can leave the covers off which alleviates the problem but this seems alittle unsafe. Another question is on the bevel gear box oil. I want to change the oil in my tractors. I have 1 owners manual that refers to a drainage plug however I can't find anything that looks like a drain plug. There are just bolts around the edge of the plate of steel that is on the back side of the BGB. As always I appreciatethe help I receive here. Brian

On my 920 their is a plug at the verry bottom in the back of the bgb. If ya dont mind the look of the covers off it is not really that dangres. If ya just keep your feet out of the belt.

Neil, Neither is pulling sunflower stalks out of the header of a running combine, if you keep your fingers out of the sicklebar. I now have 9 1/2 fingers. It only takes a second to find out how dangerous it is. Pat

Neil When you come up missing a foot tell Us again how dangerous it is. We will be waiting for the report.

I run mine without the covers. not so bad with running boards but what about a foot dragger? I am also very cautious around anything moving having spent both my 18th and 19th birthdays in a cast from cleaning an open running auger. I would say take the time to remove the covers every so often and clean out the clippings and put the covers back on. A few minutes here and there sure beats a lifetime of disability. I'm 37 now. You have no idea what I've missed in the last 20 years.

While I don't condone it I have run without the deck shields, without any problems, for about 25 years on 48" decks. The first time I removed the shields from my step-fathers 712s and saw how much junk there was under them and the amount of damage that had already been done I never put them back on. I was just looking at the setup and am going to fabricate an expanded metal shield for each side, one that will be easily removeable to clean out from under. This is only because my wife has started mowing and I don't want there to be any possibility of her getting hurt.

I have seen the damage grass can do under belt covers as well. What I did on my Sunstar 48" was to take them to the band saw. The floorboards cover most the belt under the machine so I cut my covers pretty much in half. Then I cut a section out of the outside part of the cover so I can get the garden hose or air hose under there to clean it out. Works for me and still can be safe.

I agree, covers are there for a good reason. I, too also take the hose after every mowing & really blow out the grass, then I park the machine on a side slope on my driveway & let the water run out the low side. You could also pull out the compressor & blow it out. Take an hour every once in a while, pull the covers check the belts, clean out & save your deck! If you leave the machine outside, get alarge tractor cover at home depot, mine covers over the deck also.

I leave my covers on. I mow about 2.5 acres with my 48' deck. I blow the deck off after cutting. The extra doesn't seem to be a problem. I take my covers off during maintance and the amount to grass really doesn't seem all that bad (I'm a type one, so I should be all over it). I would with you change the oil / clean the air intake / oil / blow out the covers.... Ron

I leave my covers on and remove to clean.If you could make new covers that where more open but still keep limbs out.Like a mesh or similar, that way you could just blow everything out.

I like KenK's idea of mesh covers. Has anyone tried drilling holes in their covers so they could be blown out, but still provide protection? Just a thought.

Look at the 42" deck from a 312. The covers protect the outside spindles and belt. With a few washers those covers are raised enough to use air and blow the top clean. I don't like to use water due to the corrosion and the mess. About 10 minutes with the air hose and the entire tractor is clean. Steve