Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

728 woes

JeffN

A couple of weeks ago I was having a problem with the 8HP briggs on my Broadmoor popping and having starting problems. It was suggested that it was a fuel starvation problem. So I thoroughly cleaned the carb and was still having the same problem. So I swapped the carb with a spare that I had and it started and ran fine. However, after mowing for about 15 or 20 minutes the motor started running erradically and then died. I let it sit for an hour and it started and ran for about 10 minutes and the same thing happened. The motor started surging and then lost power and died. I could get it started again but as soon as I applied any load even putting it in gear it would die. Now it will start but runs horribly. Any suggestions? Thanks.

A few things to check, pull the fuel line off where it goes to the carb and see if you get a good flow of gas out of the hose. If you don't get a good flow it could be a plugged screen in the tank or if it has a shut off valve on the tank maybe its not fully open. Another thing to check would be are the cooling fins on the block plugged with grass or a mouse nest? That could cause overheating and the engine could be starting to seize up. Another possibility on the briggs engines is the valve seats will come loose sometimes causing the valve not to seat properly or not at all. Just some ideas.

I had the same problem with my Broadmoor a couple years ago.Had me puzzled for a long time until it quite and would not start again.I lost spark and ended up putting a electronic coil on it ran better than it ever did after that.All along I thought it was the a fuel problem...

Jeff - As you know, I am far from an engine expert, but... I also suspect an ignition problem that comes on when the engine heats up. I have had this happen several times over the years. Usually a replaced ignition coil solved it. Tom