Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

wheel weights & chains

I've just bought a new Regent 14hp gear model and already realize that I need wheel weights and chains (I live in the mountains of NC). I've researched this topic here and have found out a lot about their use, but what I'd like to know now is if there are any third party weights and chains that will work with the Regent or must I order from Simplicity.

You might try having your rear tires filled with water. Any farm store or major tire store that does tractor tires can do it rather cheaply. I live in Morristown, Tennessee. Water & calcium chloride from the locale Firestone store solved the problem for me. In the winter I use chains on the same tires. My ¢ worth. Roy

As an alternative, you can fabricate (rather easily) your own chains using galvanized medium weight chain. A hacksaw, arc welder and 3 hours is all that you'll need. My $ 0.00 worth. Paul L. in the mountains of upstate NY.

Check the venders on the Simpletractos web pag (yahoo page), there are some really great guys out there, club members and supporters that have bought adds, JJ Nemes & Sons for one! Jeff should be able to get you the wheel weights and chains, if not Dave Christensen, orJack Lindstrom (Happyjack), might! There's also a lot of other members that might be able to help! Post an ad in the Want adds of this club and check back often! But, don't waste your money on Aftermarket stuff, get the gear that's made for your Tractor, by the manufacturer! You won't be sorry! Dick

Bmann, Chains for cars are usually cheaper than small tractor chains. Just wrap them around the tire and cut of what you don't need or check Wal-Mart for lawn tractor chains. I have some 50# cast iron weights from Home Depot on my B12 and it doesn't even know there not OEM. The chains on it are automotive chains with cross bars that I bought at the flea market for $2.00. I cut about 6" of and they fit perfect. All brands of tractors use the same size wheels. Check the price on weights for the Murrays, Scots, Denamarks, Etc. Never hurts to save a few cents and thats my two cents. Tim

I saw wheel weights at Quality Farm & Fleet in an MTD box that looked identical to the weights on my Regent. They were about $60. Sears has a lot of generic accessories, too.

Chains are available in two types: 2-bar and 4-bar. This refers to the number of links on the side chains between the cross-bars. The 2-bar has twice the number of cross-bar chains, provide considerably more traction and cost more. When comparing prices, make sure you're comparing "apples to apples." At a farm supply store, they'll usually have both, or can order them for you. If you can't find wheel weights locally, you may want to consider the ones at the link below. They're readily shipped without costing a fortune. I haven't tried them personally, but I'd certainly like to hear from you should you try them...[A href='http://www.innernet.net/mclog24/']http://www.innernet.net/mclog24/[/a]

Because the volume is not that much, you could try antifreeze instead of calcium chloride. A 50/50 will get you the best anti-freeze ratio but you could ratio in a little more water without problems. Propylene glycol (many times sold as anti-freeze for your RV) is not poisonous. MS