Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Newest Acquisition

PatRarick

Here's my newest acquisition. A family moved to this area about 25 years ago and purchased a farmsite. This B-12 came with the farm. They already had a new John Deere and this B-12 has been sitting in their barn since then. This family has now sold their farmsite and is moving to Idaho. They contacted my neighbor who was interested in a large amount of pole barn siding that the family wanted to get rid of before the move. It was a fairly windy day when he went to pick up the siding. He was told to take the B-12 with the deal, to keep the siding from blowing off of his trailer. Once home, he had no idea what to do with the tractor, so he delivered it here. Did I pay too much?

The front tires were rotten, so I had to put my "spares" on for now. Covered with lots of dirt, but otherwise straight. BGB is tight. Engine cranks with good compression, but has no spark. Another winter project? Probably not. Can't let it sit for that long. Pat

Congrats!!! Ho hum....someday my ship will come in, but I may have to move somewhere else for deals like that to fall into my lap. I am turning John Deere green with jealousy....

I am sure there are alot of guys out here who are willing to take it off you're hands for you if you like for the same price nice catch

Pat nice acquisition you made. ^ I hope you paid the guy freight or offered to mow his yard all summer!:D:D Now you have something to do on rainy days. It will mix in nicely with your other tractors. Post the pictures when you’re done with it.;)

After cleaning the grime, I found that a complete new carb had been installed just before it was parked. Lift lever was frozen solid. Removed the side covers and about ten pounds of cat food rolled out. Removed the dash and bulkhead and removed 20 pounds more. Pulled the engine and removed the blower housing, expecting to find mouse nests and more cat food. Surprise! Clean as a whistle. Fuel tank and carb had apparently been drained for storage. Both were clean as a whistle inside. Points were also new. Reinstalled engine, freed up the lift lever, and reinstalled bulkhead and dash. Drained the oil, and refilled with 1 qt of ATF and 1 qt of SAE 30. Changed oil in the BGB and the transaxle. Poured about two tablespoons of ATF into the cylinder. Replaced the spark plug and air filter, then greased the machine. Filled with gas, installed a battery, and it started like it was run yesterday. Drove it around at about half throttle for a half an hour, drained the oil from the engine and replaced with two qts. of SAE 30. Not a bad Sunday job. Have to attack the deck next weekend. Also have a question for owners of late B-10's and B-12's. Where is the B-10 (or B-12) insignia supposed to be located in the grill? As the photos show, mine is about center on the left side of the grill. The literature shows the insignia to the lower right of the AC emblem. Pat

Pat, My B-12 has the insignia in the same place as your tractor has it. Sounds like your's is in very good shape. Good find!

Pat, I never heard of putting in 1 quart of ATF and 1 quart of SAE 30 into the crank, letting it run and then draining it. If this an old trick? Can you enlighten me on the subject?

ATF works as a cleaner. It has been used as long as I can remember. It's not a 100% thing, but it has been used to free up stuck rings, lifters, in addition to cleaning. An old mechaning here in town used to replace 1 qt of engine oil with 1 qt of ATF every time he changed oil on his vehicles. Another old mechanic, at every third oil change, prior to changing the oil filter, would fill his crankcase with diesel fuel, start the vehicle and let it idle until the oil light went out or until the pressure gauge started to register, then shut it down. He did this three or four times, then drained, changed the filter, and refilled with oil. Both got well over 100,000 miles out of their vehicles back in the days when cars needed an overhaul at 60,000 to 70,000. Hard to say if their methods worked, or if the additional mileage was due to the fact that both, being mechanics, were meticulous in the maintenance on their vehicles. Pat

Nick: the chemical properties of the ATF basically clean out the "gunk" built up inside an engine and if any rust had formed from condensation in an engine that hasnt run in a long time it breaks some of that down, and also helps to soften up oil seals that become dry and brittle from lack of use. Its an old mechanics trick from way back, kinda like a "dish soap valve job"

Being 20 years old I guess I haven't "been around" actually I had people in their 60's tell me I know alot more then other 20 year olds. I even know what an 8 track tape is! I'll have to try the ATF trick. I asked some about it, and he said he remembers his father doing it in the 50's with his 1949 Plymouth. That car he said went to 110,000 miles.