Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hard starting B/S 8hp.

lbrod

Hi.. I'm new to this group. I reciently burned up my old 8hp. B/S. on my Broadmoore 728. I bought a new short block and everything went well. The new one is made for the magnatron ignition and I installed one in it. The engine is VERY hard to start. I rebuilt the carburator and set everything to specs. Still VERY hard to start. Once it does start it runs very strong and idles exceptionally well. I checked for air leaks and double checked the flywheel clearences etc. I had a repair shop tell me the problem is the starter doesn't spin the flywheel fast enough to get a good spark. Is this true? I have a twin to this mower and it's 32 yrs old with the old points system. It doesn't even spin one revolution and it's running. What gives here?? Can anyone help me out on this one???? Is it better to go back to the point ignition? Thanks, Len

Magnetron ignitions require a somewhat higher starting rpm because the trigger is by charging of a small trigger coil, while the older point type system charges the primary coil and trips by points. I have noted this on my push mowers. With the points typ ignitions, I would only have to give one hard short pull on the cord to start. With the newer igintions, I have to make sure to pull steadily through the entire length of the pull cord to get the mower to start. It seem to take longer to build up the charge necessary to produce the first spark. All of my current tractor engines are set up with battery ignition, using points with an external coil. These setups make more spark at slow speeds, in fact, the slower, the better.

What type of system is this magnetron??I have a Broadmoor with the 8hp motor and the coil went south.I put some kind of electronic coil on it.I never had any problems with starting it.I dont think I have noticed any change from before to after.It always fires right up even in the winter.

It's the system that came with the new shortblock. It's a B/S electronic pointless ignition. What kind of electronic coil are you talking about?

quote:
Originally posted by mowerman1193
What type of system is this magnetron??I have a Broadmoor with the 8hp motor and the coil went south.I put some kind of electronic coil on it.I never had any problems with starting it.I dont think I have noticed any change from before to after.It always fires right up even in the winter.
Magnetron is Briggs version of electronic ignition. It uses the standard magneto coil and and interfaces it with its own electronic triggering device. It been around for the last twenty years or so and for the most part reliable. Where practical I have all my Briggs engines converted over. All of my "trons" came out of junked out mass market mower engines of different horsepower sizes, IE free.

Well I guess mine must be a magnatron system too then.All I really know is the only thing it consisted of was the coil...It was also a Briggs & Stratton part as it was packed in a Briggs box.Its been a long time ago that I put it on and I could'nt remember what it was.I just know it works good and I want to put it on my other Broadmoor so I dont have to ever mess with the points...

Magnatron is the Solid State electronic ignition system for newer engines. I believe it's been standard on Briggs engines since 1982.