Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7117 Hydro problems

hoptownhiller

Folks, Need some help......I searched and could not find a history, but I seem to remember someone else having the same problem. I have a 1986 7117 that I have owned since new.....never a problem with anything save for the normal wear and tear items........ Last night I went to mow the lawn and the tractor would not move forward....reverse is fine, when I put the machine away this past weekend, everything was fine.....I am at a total loss..... Any thoughts on where to start looking....??? Thanks

1st reply, I will check the belt, however I don't think this is a problem, just adjusted a few weeks ago..... 2nd reply, I did check the valves neither "pop-its" are stuck......they are both up...should I pull those valves and check further.......???

When was the last time the filter and fluid were change. If it has been some time it might be wise to change them This has been one of the biggest causes of your problem and the simplest to fix.

I think I would pull the valves and reverse them to see if the problem stays the same or reverses itself. Don PS. The linkage isn't blocked in any way is it? Is it getting full travel?

Whenever that situation occurs here, and it does on occasion. It is either intensely cold weather causing too thick fluid, (not like this week) or the pop ups under the seat. Those valve buttons respond nicely to a bit of exterior cleaning, and some lubricant worked about them. Assuming your linkage is not obstructed in any way, cleaning the popups may get you moving again. good luck.

Changre the filter and Fliid If the free wheeling vaves are in the up position there should be no problem with them. A dirty filter and worn out fluid will cause that problem.

Thanks folks for all the help...I am still having problems though.... I changed the filter and fluids last fall(annually) and do not use this machine for winter activity.......... I put on a new belt..... there is no linkage issues......... I did not change/swap the valves....will try that...still no go.....as I drove to work this morning, it came to mind, maybe a problem in the BGB, will check tonight after trying to change the valves... ADD

The engine and BGB turn in the same direction, regardless of whether you're going forward or reverse. I suspect the problem lies elsewhere... Have you checked the spring on the linkage rod to make sure it is not being compressed (instead of engaging) when you shift the speed control lever to forward? If you do this with the engine running, please be careful, and do it only at idle and just move the speed control lever very slowly...

Folks, Thanks for all your help on this issue........thought I would give everyone an update.........spent some quality time on the machine this weekend......found the source of the problem and did the repair...... Problem was the left side rear wheel(not the differential side)hub broke free of the weld to the axle........after finding this, I simply repositioned the hub to original position, cleaned up the metal and re-welded.......back and mowing happy as can be.............nothing like these machines...... Thanks again to everyone that tried to help out....