Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Still need to figure out tiller/310 attachment!

strassmaier

Well, the saga continues. I have an AC310, and an allis tiller, unknown model, but of the same vintage for sure. If you recall, the tiller seemed to bolt up at the bottom, but the sleeve hitch was not allowing the tiller to get close enough to the tractor to make the drive belt work. So, I located an earlier allis sleeve hitch with the smaller tube, and it bolts right up, and does allow the tiller to move into the proper position. The belt now goes on a bit tight, and the last problem seems to be just that, it's still too tight. Even in the "disengage" position, the tiller still spins. I have checked, and I do have the longest till belt made for that tractor (and it is the one that came with the tiller). Since it is too tight in even the dissengage position, the tiller engage pulley isn't going to fix the problem. What would you try next?

Does your tiller disengage by a disengagement bar on the tiller and are your pulleys rusty on the grooves?

I replaced the engagement pulley, which solved most of the problem. It now works pretty good, and even tilled the garden a bit. I need to clean the pulleys, as there is a bit of rust there that is helping it grab a little. Just by pure design it seems that the belt will get tighter as the lift goes up. Is that a common problem? (when the tiller is raised in it's highest position, the belt is tightened). Still messing with it, but getting closer!

I loved my AC310D! Mine came with the tiller, which I used often (still do, as a matter of fact, on my AC710). The belt does tighten slightly when the tiller is raised. Have you tried using the other hole on the sleeve hitch?:)