Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Broken tractors

GregB

This must be my week in the dog house. The 718H is smoking badly, The yellow and blue tractor I use as a back-up went down with what seems to be a carb related problem. After mounting the deck on my 716-6 it is now stuck between gears. With the shift rod in neutral it still goes forward. What is worse though is when you put it in reverse, let the clutch out it shuts down the engine. Is there a way to check the shift forks without dis-assembling the trans? Greg B

Take a look at this and see if it helps........ http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=12052&SearchTerms=let+me+start

Thanks Kirk. I thought someone had this happen, but my searches could not find the thread. Hopefully later I will be able to un-stick the forks. The wife went to Milwaukee for a conference, and the kids both have stuff to do. Once I do get it unstuck what would prevent it from happening again? Is this a once in a blue moon event or should I keep the bent tool close by? GregB

It only seemed to happen to me if I got in too big a hurry trying to shift, but I also found the shifting stem broken later so it was likely bent when the "stuck in gear" thing happened to me....

Being in a hurry to shift is common at my place. My patch has slopes up to 30 ° angle. Some times I think I should just use the 718H but right now it smokes pretty bad, more smoke than I need for mosquito control:D:D.

Got the 716-6 going in all gears. Thanks Kirk Now all I need is to get the 718 running with the replacement engine and I can mow without the neighbors having to close their windows from the smoke.

Ya Seems the way it is around here one breaks then they other breaks even my push mower broke down last week... LOL