Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Grader Blade revisited

alanscott

What is the blade thickness for the original A/C blade? I came across a 4 long foot chunk of 24" diameter steel pipe with a 3/8's wall thickness and it got me to thinking.

The original Simplicity/AC grader blades were 1/2" thick with probably a 1 1/2 inch bevel to the edge. The curve in the blade, I'm sure, was larger than a 12" radius (24" diameter), but I don't know how much. But hey, if you think it will work, go for it! Experimenting is half the fun, especially if the cost is low.

Thanks, I decided to give it a shot. Since I don't have any plans for the hitch setup, I am winging it. The stock is 1.5 x .375, I think I'll add one more vertical cross brace, round off the front and call it good. Anything else I am missing? [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/alanscott/DSC00016.JPG[/img]

http://www.simpletractors.com/parts/grader_blade_line.htm look for yourself, above link above the drawing of the orginal one

Nice job Alan. As far as the radius goes, a tighter one will only tend to roll the material more, and can't say that would be a bad thing. it would sure help in filling holes rather than shooting it all to the side. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/JoeJ/joej_sig2.gif[/img]

Nice job on the hitch! I'm going to have one made for the blade that Dutch is bringing up today. Hope I can find a welder that'll do as nice a job as you did.

Thanks for the flowers , but it looks better in the picture :) The original hitch angles 20 degrees either side, I set this up to angle 20 to the left, and 15 or 30 to the right. Hopefully I can get the cut blade cut out on Tuesday, a guy I work with has a high buck plasma cutter and said he'd do it for a 12 pack. His machine is rated for 1/2 inch so I am hoping he can cut some of the relief on the same pass, otherwise, there is going to be a lot of grinder work involved. Has anyone ever made an adapter to attach a hitch like this to the narrower rear pins? It would be nice to be able to quickly hook it on the back of the tractor. I am thinking about building a separate bar that I could pin to the rear of the tractor, then pin this hitch to it. The main drawback I see would be having 2 pivots, but if I built it so I could also run a bolt through the ball mount, that would eliminate one pivot point. As my wife will say, I have been thinking too much . . .

How about two more pivots welded to the cross brace between the existing two pivots, if it doesn't interfere with anything when mounted under the front axle?

Alan, The hitch for the smaller tractors would fit right up to the rear of my AC314. I had a hitch for a Simplicity 717 tractor that would fit but I traded it to mowerman1193 for hitch that would fit my Landlord. I am going to adapt the hitch for the Landlord to fit the rear also. Here's a pic of the hitch for the 717. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//attach/KSever/graderblade1.jpg[/img]

Greg, good idea, I was just out in the garage looking that idea over, I think it would be the less hassle. Kris, thanks for the pic.

Alan, If you make a rear hitch consider making it so the blade will pull or push. You will find it is quite handy. I made this so it pushes, pulls, and flips over so I can use the straight edge or the serrated edge without removing the blade or hitch. [img]http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/hitch-seq.jpg[/img]

Dutch, What did your hitch start out as? I can see a label on it, but can't quite make it out. Looks pretty slick!

quote:
Originally posted by alanscott
Dutch, What did your hitch start out as? I can see a label on it, but can't quite make it out.
It's a Brinly-Hardy.

Dutch, are you still taking orders for these? I sent an email to you over the weekend, but haven't heard back. Thanks!

Dutch, The third picture down looks as though you are up to the axles in mud since it is lined up with the last picture :D

It works. I just finished removing the gravel from a 10' x 40' section of the yard, layed down new plastic, then covered it up again. Once I ger it cleaned up and painted, I'll post a picture of it. Thanks for the tips.

• 3 weeks later...
I wish I had the brains to make a york rake for my dirt road and driveway here in NH Great Job on the grader blade.