Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

48" deck questions

Ishmael2k

I have a question about 48" decks, I have a couple of shells, one of the older style,(Came off of a 3416H, unfortunately the id tag is gone.) and one newer style. The main difference I can find is the adjusting handles are of a different style, the center arbor is different and that the newer style deck has one bolt blades as opposed to the 2 bolt on the older. My main question is there any real advantages to either deck?? I am going to rebuid one of the decks completely and didn't want to run into any overt problems if I can avoid it. The older shell is a lot better shape, so I'd rather use it if possible. The 2nd question I have is that the top pulley on the center arbor on the older deck has a small amount of take up (For want of a better term, it spins a small amount before the lower pulley spins.) is this normal?? I am planning on taking the deck down to the bare shell, blasting it and re-painting. Then I will rebuild the arbors and the lift system and basically have a new deck. Thanks for any info! Rob

I like the older 2 bolt style better. Never had a blade fall off on one of those like I have had on the single bolt (newer) style. Brent

Probably your center hub is shot. When the big self locking nut gets loose it wallows out that hub REAL FAST! Parts are available. If it gets real bad it takes the center shaft also. I think it was around $60 to repair my last one that went bad. Both decks have their strengths and weaknesses. ken

Thanks for the replies, I wasn't sure about the center assembly because it has that funky spring loaded hub. Upon closer inspection it looks like the upper pully and shaft are tight while the lower pully (Deck belt pully) is loose on the shaft. I guess I'll find out when I get it apart. I have also been able to get a model number for it, 886, the tag was still there but almost completely obliterated. I researched it online and downloaded the parts manual for it. Upon comparision it looks to be identical to a #740 deck which I have the hard copy for. 8D Going to have to get a complete baffle and roller set for the inside along with all new rollers and brackets for the rear.