Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Horn install

Nubian

Hello all! Just got around to installing the NOS Simplicity horn kit(1691530).No where does it say to ground the horn. Tried to ground it, but the wire (16ga)heated up. Installed a 5 amp fuse and it blew it. So I wired it up with just the fuse directly from the battery with no ground and it works fine. Is this OK with no ground? The instructions does say to power it from a red wire that goes to the ignition switch, but that's for front cut riders.Am I bypassing some type of circuit I shouldn't be?

Sounds like it is gounding through the casing somehow. I am assuming you have connected the red wire directly to the battery (+ side)? I would think attaching the red wire to the ignition switch would prevent the horn from working when the ignition is not in the "run" or "Accessory" position. You said the wire heated up when you tried to ground it. Did it heat up when you tried to use the horn? Or did it just heat up before you could try? Steve

yes I attached it to the positive side and that is exactly why I did that I did not want to have the ignition turned on so that i may use the horn. I just figured that between my wife and kids if there was a problem they could just blow the horn whether it's running or not.

Probably won't hurt it any. There's a fuse in the line, so you should be okay. Maybe one of the other guys will have some thoughts on it. Steve

Eddie, It grounds through the mounting bolt. Just make sure that if your bolting it to a painted surface that you scrape some paint off at the bolt hole... I have one on both the HB-216 and the Big Ten.... Kent