Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What to on a rainy day?

Karl_Brandt

Yesterday I decided to see a friend,what else is there to when it rains:( all day long. Me and my cousin went to look for a mower deck for a MTD tractor. The three of us guys drove up to the other place he has lawnmowers at. When we came back I seen a Allis Chalmers tractor sitting in a driveway,we stopped and asked about the tractor and then bought the tractor.The tractor was a Allis Chalmers early B-10 with 30" roto tiller. Now I have the parts to finish my 1966 AC B-10 tractor.;) Made the trip worth the drive,did not get the MTD mower deck.:D:D Karl

Karl, It looks like I'm not the only one that has good luck finding tractors on rainy days...;):D

Dan I think I will keep the roto tiller. The MTD mower deck will be easier to find than the AC roto tiller.;) Karl

I spent a rainy Sunday changing the impeller gearbox and replacing the starter rope in an old Allis snowblower, then getting the old 10HP engine in my parts Big Ten running. The tractor had been sitting for at least 2 years when I bought it 5 years ago -- so it hadn't run in at least 7 years. The starter-generator was bad (new that when I bought it) and with a good starter generator and a different carb, it would hit and run intermittently. Tried cleaning, sanding and regapping the points. Same story... I could wiggle the wire from the magneto and it would sometimes make a difference. Finally, I unbolted the engine and moved it forward enough to pull the cooling shroud. There was a mouse nest on top of the magneto. I cleaned it out, cleaned the rust off the flywheel magnets with some emory cloth and put it back together. Now it runs good, though it does blow a puff of white smoke when you accelerate hard. It doesn't smoke at at a steady speed, regardless of the engine speed, only on acceleration. Good project for a rainy Sunday afternoon. Though I truly didn't add to the collection, this motor seems like a "freebie" since it is a good running one that I didn't know I had before... since I didn't know anything about it. ;)