Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

danco front end loader creep

memanpa

i have a powermax with a danco model sv411 front end loader, the lift system is fine but the tilt creeps down even if running or shut down, i am thinking that it is in the control valve because only the bucket tilt creeps and in the down direction only, i am assuming there is a series of seals and /or "o" rings as well as a detent spring, but i hate to tear it apart before i have a kit to rebuild it, the little tractor is kept to busy to have it down for any length of time, anybody have a suggestion, or supplier for a kit? thanks guys, gals, and those that do not fit into either catagory:) ed (memanpa)

Welcome to the club memanpa. I assume you are speaking of the bucket tilt. Nearly all spool-type control valves are made with such close tolerances that they don't contain any o-rings (hard to believe, but true). If the loader is very used it is possible that the creeping is from spool wear, but is most likely coming from cylinder piston seal leakage. To find out which one, put a good load in the bucket, 300 lbs or so, tilt it all the way back and leave the bucket about a foot off the ground. Turn off the tractor. Slowly disconnect the RETURN line from the valve. (this should be the one leading back to the tank) if this line keeps running oil out and then stops when the bucket gets to the ground THEN you will know it's the spool valve at fault. DON'T MOVE THE CONTROL VALVE WITH THIS LINE OFF OR YOU'LL GET A BATH! If it doesn't run out (which I'm guessing it won't) then you will know it's the piston seal. The oil is simply getting to the other side of the piston and the bucket goes down. I'm not sure if anyone here can tell you what the seal availability is without taking the cylinder apart, but after you take it apart it should be a simple matter to match up with dimensions at a seals and packing supplier like Zatcoff, or Motion Industries, or Baum hydraulics. I have some seals to order for my back-hoe Mon. or Tues. If you let me know what the sizes are by then I could get them for you.

Ed The Danco loader on my Pow'r Max is a model SV40 and probably uses the same control valve. The manual shows 4 "O" rings 3/32" x 1/2" ID. The Danco seal repair kit is part #4167-20. I do not believe Danuser Machine Works still stocks these parts, but it may be worth a phone call to find out. Ben

thanks guys! i don't have a manual on this loader, so any help is greatly appreciated. IWELD, i hadn't considered a spool valve so will try your suggestion tommorow.BENB those sizes of "O" rings are readily available to me by one of my employers suppliers, just need to know the diameter of the "O" ring it'self, if it is the spool valve that is a little more of a problem, but not unsumountable.:) THANKS again

Ed Iweld and I replied at the same time, so I had not seen his response. Perhaps these O-rings only seal external leaks? The inside diameter is 1/2" and the thickness is 3/32" If you have access to a fax I can send you the parts breakdown on the valve and cylinders. Or email your address and I will mail a copy of the manual. Good luck, Ben

I would dought that it is your valve. Ide almost bet money that your clynders are leaking by on your tilt. We rebuild at least one clinder a year. there not to hard to do ya just get new packings from your dealer. some are harder to get appart than others it helps to talk to a shop man at the dealership if you have never did it before.