Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

speaking of sicle bars

dav

I am buying a bar mower and need to have it shipped. Can anyone give me a good guess as to the weight of the blade assy, the frame and the drive as separate units? If the hinge pin is pulled, will the drive come easily away from the frame? The seller will break it down for me and box up some of it. I don't want to ask him to do too much but I think there is a 70 pound limit for most small package companies. Anyone recommend a good nationwide shipping org.?

I use UPS and generally ship the bar with the skid plate and cutters in one box and the hitch & drive in another. Total cost to ship as I package them runs an average of $60 depending on location.

I'll take a pic and post it tomorrow, but the short answer is that yes the hitch can be easily detached by pulling one pin.

Here is the 990210 sickle bar mower.

By pulling the inboard cotter pin you can remove the pivot shaft.

If you have a cable lift mower, you'll need to unhook the lift assist spring, too. The pivot shaft is in the same place though.

There are nine grease nipples on the 990210 while the newer version with Heim joints has only five. These should be greased every three hours of operation, if I'm not mistaken. Though the pics are not the best, I'm pointing them out below. You should be able to find them on yours if you look in these areas.... Three here....

Two here....

Two here....

And two here....

Hey Kirk, How did you get that rod out so easy? I've had a half dozen of these mowers and have yet to have one that that rod wasn't rusted tight in place...;)

I just received a 38" lawn revitalizer which was shipped from Wisconsin to Boston. I went crazy figuring how to get it shipped at a reasonable price. You won't believe the end result ? U.P.S. Ground, $54.89, delivered to my house within a week. The attachment with the wheels removed is still approx. 44" long. Check them out, I was very happy with the service. ALAN

Sam and Rod, Have you been in a cave somewhere? Have you seen my posts about moving rocks and stuff???? LOL When I went to pick this mower up near York, PA the seller and I took it apart to get it into my trunk. It took a hammer and large drift that time. Ever since, it's been a breeze.....

Well, I asked the seller to pack the bar, the drive and the mount as 3 separate packages. There is a UPS place half a mile from his house outside of Seatle. I'm in New Hampshire. Using the webpage and guesstimating 125 pounds, the computor said about $110 to ship. Once he actually gets it there, I'll know if I should have spent the money on analysis. But since I gave up drugs and alcohol I need some kind of vice. Thanks for the info and the input, guys. I'll let you know when it gets here by asking a whole lot of questions.

Kirk, Mine pivots fine. As long as it isn't siezed, I'm not going to try to take it apart. My philosophy is: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Can't see any reason to drive it out. I was just backing up what Sam said with my previous statement.