Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Grass catcher for the Homesteader 8 exist?

John_B

Wondering if there is a grass catcher for my A/C Homesteader 8 (see my profile photos), or some type of new or old universal unit that will work. Also, I currently have a 36" rotory mower deck. Are there other decks that use the same mounting, that would work on the Homesteader? I'll need to find a spare amd want to know what to keep an eye out for. Thanks, JohnB

The sales info doesn't mention a bagger, only a vacuum cart... http://www.simpletractors.com/models/homesteader.htm

JohnB, I found an old craftsman push-type lawn sweeper (wheel-powered) in a junk pile, made a hitch for it, and put it behind my H-8. I didn't think they really worked, but was sure wrong. Not only does it pick up grass and leaves quite nicely, but it also does fine work on little gifts left about by the dog.

Thanks for the info. I'll take look at those lawn sweepers, may be my best bet. The vacuum carts seem a bit much for what I need, plus I doubt I'd ever find one. JohnB

This size tractor used a cart with it's own engine, unless I'm mistaken. I know the Simplcity tractors that size did. You could likely fit an aftermarket one to it, but you might have to make the chute to attach it to the mower deck. At least, I think yours has a right discharge, by far the most common setup...

Actually it discharges on the left: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/John_B/Homesteader2.jpg In looking at other setups to see if anything might adapt, I'm seeing that most are on the right. I don't suppose my 36" deck would produce enough "wind" to push the grass up a chute on it's own without a separate motor would it? JohnB

I don't think so. In general, a 3-blade deck needs vacuum assist or it will clog a lot...

If your interested in driving to PA. or paying the shipping I have a deck for a Homesteader8 and some odds and ends from a donor tractor.send me a PM. JBLACK ^

Thats a big "oops" on me... for some reason, I thought the Homesteader had a right-discharge deck like the 300 and 400 series of the same timeframe.

There never was a bagger for the homesteader, I used to sell a lot of tow -behind sweepers in those days, the 36" 3 blade mower was a great little mower , but 3 blade decks just won't throw grass up a chute ,that's the reason that a 2 blade mower was introduced for the 608LT tractor. Cal

I don't suppose there were any two-blade decks that would fit the Homesteader? I'm still digging around on the site when I get time. I do like the looks of the snow blower attachment though! JohnB

I am not aware of any other deck that will fit right up to it.But anything is possible with a little engineering...

What's the difference between the Homesteader7 and the 8(besides 1 HP)? My 7 has a deck with a single blade on it.