Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fabricating a ball hitch for Simplicity 5216

andyk

I have a Simplicity 5216 that I would like to use to tow 4' X 4' trailer around the yard. The trailer has a ball receiver. I was going to try and get an old bagger bag holder (part 1691186) and modify it to mount a ball. Any other suggestions?

Depends on how much work ya want to go to. ya could make one that mounts like a tiller or other rear attachment. Saw on on a 712 shuttle at a savlage yard that had a peace of angle iron welded on the back then the ball bolted to that. I would go with a type of mount that ran off of your sleve hich so you could rase and lower the ball for ease of hook up.

If you're looking to attach a regular trailer ball you could make something like this rig that was on the B-112 I picked up recently. This one is bolted onto the tractor. Look closely and you'll see that there's also a bracket welded to the lower part of the tractor, just above the hitch tab for a regular cart. The 3310 V also had a similar bracket welded on it when I first got it, though I later cut it off.

Or you could get(or make) one of these ball mounts, it's the thing painted primer brown next to the vac. It will mount to either the front or rear of the tractor with a few pins. I saw one on e-Bay recently, but it went for over $150. This one is a reproduction of the original item.

• 2 weeks later...
I was thinking of mounting a hitch ball on the front of mine, to hook up one of those winches that mounts on your trailer ball hitch. One thing I know is I'll be using a car battery, instead of the regular garden tractor battery. Imagine driving down my road in the winter and seeing me on my B-110 pulling a car that slid off the road? I definetly get a few head turners.

Anybody got the time and tools to make a few of these? Looks like there might be a market for them.

quote:
Originally posted by MisterB
Anybody got the time and tools to make a few of these? Looks like there might be a market for them.
If the price is right, I'd take one for my AC712 - Dan

I've been looking for one as well. If there's a way to have both hookups, it would be ideal!

On my 712,I just used a piece of channel that I mounted a ball to.I notched it so it would fit on the rear sleeve.There's a hole in the sleeve,that I put a pin through,which also goes through the channel,and holds everything in place.Tractor has the electric lift,which is nice for pulling up to the boat,lowering the ball to hook it up,and then raising it to move the boat.

My brother in law, the genius that he is at fabricating, made from scraps lying around his shop, a ball mount for the back of my tractor that attaches to the 3 points. It allows the ball to raise & lower-though there is a slight arc to its motion- using the tractors lift system. He had a very large & heavy L bracket & made his own universal joint for attaching the round tubing he used for the upper arm. I can tow my 21ft popup camper around my yard with it!

These front/rear hitches would be pretty complex to make, without having one to copy. RobB borrowed mine and had some made -- including the one Kirks' showing above, but I don't think he has any more. I may be mistaken.... They're great. Here's the original Allis sales flyer, which shows a pretty decent drawing, though no dimensions, of course... http://www.simpletractors.com/attachments/ball_hitch.htm Here's a picture of mine, trial fitted on the front of the Big Ten while it was going together. It fits on the front just like a snowblower does. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/2_into_1/trailer_hitch.jpg[/img] The inside set of arms on the bottom go in the rear bottom hitch points, while the two uprights have a U that goes under the cross-bar of the rear lift, between the locking collars. BTW, if you've never used a front hitch to spot a trailer -- it's ten times easier that backing it up....

I would be glad to make a batch of the original ball hitches. In fact I've had request's for it. If anyone else wants one E-Mail me.

5216 is a lawn tractor - completley different from the Landlord garden tractor. It has a simple right angle plate hitch with a 1/2" hole. You may be able to use it if you braced it to the rear sides and found a small shank ball.

I agree with JeffNemes,this is a light duty lawn tractor and they have a wimppy hitch on them...I would be carefull and not put too much weight on that...

• 2 weeks later...
mowerman1193, jeffnemes, yes, on the 5216 there is a wimpy hitch and even if a ball could be mounted there would be no clearance for the reciever. That's why I'm thinking of using a bagger attachment since it attaches on the sides and rear. It would provide a more substantial mount. I'm now toying with what should have been more obvious: modify my bagger attachment such that it can take a ball and still be used for bagging. This should be the easiest , cheapest, and most versatile. When I get to it I'll report back with photos. Anyway, thanks to all!