Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Landlord battery size

KSever

I was going to go down and get a new battery for the '64 Landlord, But the one that I took out was for sure not the one and I have no idea of the correct one. I would like to get the correct size battery if anyone would know what it is. Can anybody help? Thanks, Kris

Battery application book For battery mfg should list the right battery. Parts manual says exide 122190

Kris, Here's the two most common battery types and their dimensions: 22NF......9 7/16L 5 1/2W 8 15/16H Hold downs on the bottom ends. 51........9 3/8L 5 1/16W 8 13/16H Hold down over the top. Hint: Take a tape measure to the store with you. That way you can educate the clerk who's "helping" you8D

I like to get the highest rated battery that will fit in the tractor. I use a U1P-7 in the smaller tractors, and a 51-4 in the 3310. Both are from Wal-Mart, about $30 and $40 respectively.

I use the Type 51 from WalMart since the only place I can find a 22NF is at a local Agway tractor supply, and they want around $55 for one.... The last Type 51 I bought from WalMart was under $40, for a battery with a longer warranty....

I use a type 51 in my 312 and 2110. The 7010 has the battery hold down on the bottom lip so that sort of limits the choices to a type 22NF Steve

The older tractors with starter-generators really need a larger battery than the 225 to 325 CCA generic lawn and garden batteries....

I also need a battery for my 1964 Landlord. I went to the local Wal-Mart yesterday to purchase one and found that they all require the flat post battery cables. My cables are for round posts. Does Wal-Mart carry these batteries with round posts? Thanks!!!

A Type 51 is a car battery that's used in some imports, and has the normal round car posts on it. Similarly the 22NF is a car-type battery of the same size used on the original Ford Mustangs, Falcons, Fairlanes. The "NF" stands for "Non-Ford" since the poles are reversed on it. It was commonly used in old farm tractors also, since it is relatively small... The Type 51R, should you be able to find on has the poles reversed from the normal Type 51. BTW, should you need to go in reverse -- your tractor is set up for the small cables fastened with wing-nuts, WalMart has post adapters that are used in boats that you can put on a normal battery, then fasten the leads with wingnuts. Watch the hood clearance on the old round-hood tractors though, if you use these...

I use a small car battery from Walmart on my B210. Round posts on top and something like 537 CCA. Definitely spins the crank. :D Steve

Steve, That's what I did also -- find the biggest off-the-shelf battery that would fit into the compartment and still clear the hood. That's how I ended up with the Type 51. Some battery reference guides available at the store's battery racks will show size -- height, width and length, and the CCA ratings for each battery type in each grade of battery (i.e. price range). I'd tried the smaller lawn tractor batteries and they just didn't have quite enough "oomph" to start the oldies in the winter, below zero, with the oil and gear lube thick, especially after running the headlights a lot blowing snow. Like you pointed out, the car battery has about twice the cold-cranking amps as the L&G variety. If you wanted to pay the price, you could get something like a Diehard Gold or something similar and probably get 700+ CCA in this physical size of battery. Don't think it's necessary, or worth the price difference though... Since I already had a Type 51 in the HB-216 from when I was running a starter-generator 10HP, I left it in when I put in the gear-start 16HP. It certainly spins that gear starter -- and makes a LOT of noise doing so....

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
I'd tried the smaller lawn tractor batteries and they just didn't have quite enough "oomph" to start the oldies in the winter, below zero, with the oil and gear lube thick, especially after running the headlights a lot blowing snow.
The problem I had was that the L&G batteries were shot after about a year. They had so little oomph that they were generally heavily discharged by the time the tractor got started. If you look at the warranty period on them, it's pretty short. Car batteries are usually warranted for 5 years, and have a longer life span. The L&G's were running about $30.00 and the car battery ran maybe $50.00. But, I've gotten at least twice and maybe 3 times the life out of it. Steve

My 3212H, my 3112V & my B110 all use the type 51 & the longer warranty/ larger capacity is exactly why i choose it. Walmart has had the best deal on it for several years. It is a battery used by a number of mitsubishi vehicles.

Yes I too use the 22NF and the Type 51 in my tractor .. My wife works for her Dad that owns a auto salvage yard so I have a good stock of used ones...