Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Always fill your gas tank before mowing...

Kent

Saw this on another forum and thought it was great -- and very applicable to the oldies many of us operate:
quote:
My Dad's neighbor asked him to mow his yard while he was on vacation. My Dad said no problem and was mowing the yard last week, with his 1988 Toro ride on, when he ran out of gas. The mower was along a fence right next to the road. The gas can was empty so my Dad took a ride to the station and came back 20 minutes later to find the mower gone. My Dad was really depressed since the mower was perfect for his yard and started, first pull, everytime. After thinking about it, he realized whoever took it, probably thought it was the old freebie put on the side of the road. My Dad put up a sign, near the road, saying "Please bring back Toro. Not a Freebie". The mower re-appeared in the same spot the next morning. The only thing they did not bring back were the pillows my Dad had duct taped to the seat for comfort.... So, always fill your tank before you mow...

That happened to my son's snowmobile. He parked by the front fence of his grandmothers' house. went inside for a few hours. Being it was early evening he fell asleep on the couch. when he woke up and went outside, the snowmobile was gone, Poof! Really bummed him out... Steve

Ya well this guy was Lucky enough to get his Back... I know I always ask about stuff like this... Just the other day I can acrossed a Tractor sitting out by the road Thought it was For Sale Guy came out and said it ran out of gas earlier and there had been a couple of people stop on it... LOL

Not saying that it could not happen here at my house but...usually the only person to go by my house is the neighbor and if he took it I think I might see him using it... Although he really like the way it mows and the nice stripes I make with it....Hmmm He might just take a chance on getting caught...LOL

At least someone brought it back. This area is changing so fast who knows if I ever see it again if it was mine. A few years ago I had a snapper rear engine rider for parts. I had it down by the woods, I guess someone was four wheeling back there took it, My step father thought I had taken it to the scrap yard. as it was a month before I knew it was missing. About a year later someone said they saw it on the side of the road a few miles from here, completly stripped of anything usable. Found out who took it, and got 25.00 from his parents, for the theft.

Funny how one story leads to another... My neighbor Tim stopped by about a year ago and told me about a cub cadet out with the trash. We went to check it out an sure it was - had a broken front axle. Early 70's model. We figured it was suburban roadkill and drove it home on 3 wheels (lot's of body english) next day figured we'd better make sure and went back and found out that the wheel had just snapped off right there at the end of the driveway with the garbage. The guy was pissed at the cub anyway and glad to sell it for $75 complete w/deck. Turned out to be a great runner once Tim fixed the axle.

Yesterday at 10:30 pm I went to drop my friend off at home on the other side of town, I noticed a block away from him sitting near the road what appears to be a mid 70's early 80's Sears. I'll have to call him up later and have him look into it.