Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
logwoodc

B&S Engine Problems, opinions please!

logwoodc
I have a 10 hp B&S on a 1973 Landlord 3410S. Recently it would not run without full choke. It then had low power. Now it will not start at all. I will fire with starter fluid but quickly dies due to no fuel. I have removed the carb and shot it full of carb cleaner. I did a carb rebuild 2 years ago. I cannot find the source of no fuel. Fuel does drip from the carb (always has). Should I get a new carb ($150) or further trouble shooting? Claude

UCD
Claude Welcome to the club Make sure all the gaskets are sealed good and the throtle shaft has no play in it around the shaft. Sounds like it is sucking air from some where. If it is sucking air it can not suck in the fuel.

goatfarmer
The Briggs on my 3410 used 2 intake gaskets at the block: one between the shroud and the block,and one between the shroud and the intake. It was a bear to keep everything lined up.I ended up changing the intake bolts to studs. Much easier that way.

logwoodc
Thanks for the input. Further info. Carb only drips when not running. I don't remember seeing a gasket at the block. I'll check it out. I've got fuel at the carb. it spews when I pull the line off.

Bunky
This is gonna Sound strange But I too have a starting problem with My 3410S it won't start unless I hold the throttle shaft closed, I haven't checked it out yet, But I'm thinking it's a bad valve or the shaft is worn too bad.. I'm thinking along maybe the shaft ... Because once it starts it runs ok.... It used to run good then one day I was using it for about an hour or so.. It just quit that was the only way it will start now....