Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Surrey Top

Kent

When I posted pictures of my HB-216 recently, someone asked why I was using large eyebolts to hold the seat on. Well, it's part of the mounting for Eli's surrey top that came off a SunRunner. Al Eden gave it to him, and shipped it when he shipped some other things. Thought I'd show it to you while I had it mounted in case we went to yesterday's show (we didn't since it rained all day). He didn't like the original orange tassles, and you can't really just cut them off, due to the way it's made, so I sprayed them with Duplicolor vinyl/cloth paint from Walmart. I don't use it, but put it on just for him to have at the show... Disregard the rusty orange Simplicity 48" deck -- it's just another thing that was supposed to get done over the winter and didn't... :( I'd planned to yank it off for the show...

Here's how I mounted it.... I had to spread the eyelets slightly on these so the mounting tube would go down through. I used part of the original mounting brackets in rear hitch points, and drilled a hole in the center so I could put them on with a hitch pin. Then, I drilled a small hole in each tube for a small screw just above the eyelet, so that the tube can't slide down. Since the tubes are supposed to be straight vertical, squeezing them in to this angle keeps it pretty tight and rattle free...

I don't think so -- and it's already too "frilly" for me. I guess I could hang a pair of fuzzy dice off it, though! :D It's nothing compared to the one sold for the old B-series, though... [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/b_attachments_images/umbrella_small.JPG[/img]

What's wrong with an orange mower deck? Cuts grass as good as a yellow one, right? The grass don't care what color the mower is.:D:D:D

Well that's quite the top there Kent, and thanks for the pictures mowerman1193 and I have been thinking of fabricating our own kind of top that we can take on and off This looks like it might just be what were looking for...

Does anyone know if they made a top something like this for the older Broadmoors.I would like to build one for one of my mowing tractors to help keep me out of the sun as I spend about 6-8 hours a week mowing.And will probably start getting more mowing time in the future.

Kent, I really like the mounting arrangement. Could be made to be easy and fast on and off. I have to many low trees to go around with one that would take 15 minutes to get on and off. Your system looks like the answer. Nice job. Good pics! Thanks for sharing. Dan

I haven't heard of anything similar to this for Broadmoors. But, one of these could likely be adapted to fit, something like what I did. I remember a dealer member here in Massachusetts posting 5 of this kits for sale, here in the Classifieds, in the last year or so. So, I guess this is just one more thing to keep an eye out for, if interested. BTW, this is not a solid canvas top. It is perforated material, similar to those "Panama hats" you see, though perhaps not as thick. The old summer/winter tops for the B-series, shown below, were canvas -- these aren't. They won't work for rain... [img]http://simpletractors.com/images/new_in_1964/summer_cab_pg8_small.jpg[/img]

Anyone know what that front support hooks to in the pic. above.Looks like the footrest??

I have had a couple of tractors That have came with brackets mounted tot he foot rest I bet they were for the Surry tops..

The brackets on the foot rests are for mounting the summer/winter canvas tops, not to be confused with the surrey top...;)