Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Questions on 2 year old sovereign

jeff_in_ohio

A friend got his 2 year old used Sovereign delivered last night and the hydro deck lift doesn't kick in right away when the tractor is started. It takes about 45 seconds to a minute or so of the tractor to be running before the hydro will lift the deck up and down. You can start right up and the tractor goes full forward or reverese and the power steering works right away though, only the deck lift is slow to want to respond. It was delivered without a manual, so we don't know what is normal and what is not. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also, should the brake pedal lock in the down position or return the hydro control lever to the neutral position? I've scene this on other brands of tractors. Also, what is the flip lever thing down on the front of the right fender? He purchased this used, 2 years old with a 2 year old single stage snowblower for the front and a brand new tiller still in the crate all for $4,000. The tractor is an 18hp Kohler with 48" deck, power steering, hydrostatic drive and hydro deck lift. Any ideas on our slow start up deck lift? Once the tractor has run for a bit, everything is a-ok. Thanks

I can't help with the lift problem,but you can veiw a manual for it at this link [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/techpubsearch.php[/url] You will need to have the model number for the tractor.Should be a tag on the tractor somewhere with the number like 169****.

The flip thing on the fender is the parking brake. The brake pedal works as a clutch initialy by taking the tension off of the drive belts. Push the brake pedal all the way down engages the brake band on the transmission. The brake/clutch pedal does not bring the hydro to neutral though it does on most all other newer Simplicity models. Sounds like either the lift valve is not working correctly or it could be low on hydro fluid though that should also affect the power steering.

Nice price if everything is in like new condition. That setup would have cost about $8,000. at a dealership when new.
I resolved my hydro problems (my Sov is about 6 years old) by draining and replacing the hydro fluid and filter. Just doing that may resolve the issue, and it's cheaper than taking it to the dealer straight off the bat. Good luck with it!

i agree that is definetly a great price, i just purchased a NOS 2000 sovereign this winter it is the same machine you are describing and i paid 6,300. I would start by checking the fluid level as suggested, snd topping off or changing the fluid and filter. good luck john