Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Backwards push mower engines?

Nick

I noticed on all the mass market push mowers they always put the engine on backwards for some reason. I know they aren't installing these in the stores this way as this photo came off MTD's website. What gives? [img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/184497/MTD.jpg[/img]

Well I think most of the older push mowers I have the engine is reversed the spark plug is tot he rear...LOL

Every push mower that I have owned has had the plug to the front, starting back in the 60s. I always thought they were backward with the plug to the rear.

Though most seem to have the spark plug to the front, I have seen them towards the rear and also toward the side. To me, it would make more sense to have the plug to the rear, for two reasons. The air cleaner would then be opposite the discharge side, and the plug would be protected from branches. I don't know how many times someone brings in a mower claiming that it cuts out as soon as they start to trim. My first experience with this brought the mower back several times because I hadn't solved the problem. Turned out the the plug was shorting out on their lilac bushes when they mowed under them. In several other cases, customers complain that the spark plug wire gets pulled off when they mow under their pine trees/ Pat

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
Why do you say it's backwards?
I am so use to seeing the gas tank on the left, and the spark plug on the right.

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
Why do you say it's backwards?
Accidently typed the wrong thing, Here is my answer, I am so use to seeing the gas tank on the left, and the spark plug in the back.

Had a 1972 Toro push mower in this week for work and the spark plug was rear facing, towards operator.

Well you made me curious on the engines.. All the mowers I checked on the Techumseh's were allways in the Front.. And most of all the briggs engines were in the rear.... Not sure why this is but I guess they came both ways...

It seems to me that the engines rotated about the time the recoil start was relocated to the mower handle (this allows the rope to pull easier from the back of the mower), and the safety bar was added. Now to kill the engine you let go the bar, on some of the old mowers you reach down to the spark plug (which was right in front of you) and flipped a metal tab that grounded the spark plug and killed the engine.

The purpose was to make it easier to crank the engine as well as prevent damage in the event of a "crash".