Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

620 dies

MBedford

Anyone have a problem with or a cure for a tractor that dies after it runs for about 15 minutes. It seems to run good at a low power sitting. I put on a new elec. fuel pump and hoped it would cure the problem. It may be the plastic fuel filter. It runs great for a while and dies, let it sit for about five minutes and it start again, but at a low power. HELP! :( Thanks Mike

Problems with the points and/or timing can cause this condition. My 720 had the same problem once, and proper timing cured it! Good luck! Dave

I would start by after it dies by checking if it has spark. Then I would see if it has fuel after it dies also and go from there.

It not fixed yet, haven't had time to get back at it. I will try all the ideas you'all have said. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Well, I may have found the problem. I checked the fuel cap to make sure it would vent, not knowing for sure, I left it loose. Didn't make much difference. I was using the rear pto to mow when it was dying, and also the front pto was on to keep the loader up. When the tractor died I turned off the pto's and got it started again, and just used the rear pto, to run the mower, well!!! It ran, when I turned on the front pto it would die again. Guess it can't handel both pto's at the same time. Anyone know why this is? Thanks for you help.

Dont know for sure but operating both pto's at the same time might just be causing too much heat. It might be wise to pull off the sheet metal and make sure all the fins are free of debris so your getting proper air flow.

Check your Battery condition and charging system. It might not be putting out enough current to replace what the P.T.O.'s and Ing. system are using. Your loader should stay up with out the pto running the Hydraulic pump. If it doesn't you have a leaky control valve or cylinders

Evening All, Mike: I had a similar problem with my 620 when running both PTO's, ignition and electric fuel pump the charging system could not keep up. After troubleshooting my system I found that I had a bad regulator. I haven't had any problems since. Later, Chad

• 4 weeks later...
My 9020 is doing the same thing now. I replaced the points and timed it in yesterday and it didn't help. Just had one pto running. Purrs for about 10 minutes then starts sputtering and finally shuts down completely. My guess is it's the coil, but I'm gonna replace both the coil and regulator.

Sounds like found your troubles Mike, being electrical, but I'll add anyway I had a like problem with the 4040, turned out being the small ceramic fuel filter I put on, guess it was too small, replaced it with a clear plastic one and troubles been gone since..MPH