Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
HubbardRA

New diff problem!

HubbardRA
I have been mowing my lawn with my AC716H for a couple of years. The axle and diff are from an older machine, and I put them into this unit quickly several years ago. The rear has been locked, probably from spacers on the wrong side of the left axle gear and overlap on the spiders. It didn't like sharp turns till last weekend. Suddenly it started turning sharply, with ease. Great!! Not quite. I was mowing a slanted area, and the left wheel started spinning badly. Chalked it up to the wet, muddy soil, from the torrential rains we have been having. Later on I got stuck crossing a ditch - same left wheel spinning. Checked further - Left wheel drive only. Shredded gear or broken pins? I guess I'll find out when I take it apart. Does anyone know if it is possible to change the left axle and diff, without disassembling the diff? I've always taken them apart before, and dread doing that on the later model limited slip units like I will be using as a replacement.

KenK
I've changed a dozen or more axles(left and right)on these old tractors.Never had to disassemble diff always took it off in a complete unit.I'm in the process right now of making a good tranny out of two bad ones,got axels laying all over the place.[:0]:p:D

HubbardRA
Thanks Ken! I've have had several apart relative to breakage and upgrades for tractor pulling. I've pulled the assembly off the axle tube as a unit, but wasn't sure if the reassembly could be done as a unit. Been a few years since I worked on one. Appreciate the info.

HubbardRA
Kirk, Can't remove or replace mine this way. I am working with a late model diff. On it the axle has to come out the left side, since the hub is welded onto the axle. The gear and possibly the key will end up inside the diff when I pull the axle. My original question was about reassembly without pulling the diff apart. If I take it all apart, then it is not a problem to reassemble these pieces. I know, I have one that I took apart and placed shim washers under the limited slip springs to make the diff more solid for tractor pulling. After looking at the pictures that Reed posted, I am wondering if I unbolt the diff and leave the collar on the tube will the diff housing clear the gear on the left axle? I am going to look at this possibility. I am not comfortable with trying to insert the left axle gear through the diff from the right side. I want to make sure everything is lined up correctly and assembled tightly. I don't want another wobbled out keyway in an axle. Been there, done that.

HubbardRA
Kirk, This really is an older axle from my 61 Wards, but I have it in my AC716H, since I swapped the two several years ago for pulling purposes. I know the axle is boogered in the keyway that holds the left side gear. I have two other late model units, and I was going to use one of them. I like the limited slip better than the bolts that you have to tighten, and the welded on wheel flange instead of the removable one. I have been inside them, but always reassembled the diff onto the axle tube from left to right. I had never tried changing the whole diff as a unit. I was just looking for pointers to see if I was taking the long way around. I can see that the older units are easier to change because they can come out the right side once the wheel flange is removed. The newer axles with the welded on wheel flange must come out the left side, this is what I was wondering about. Just questioning whether there was an easier way of doing the newer units that taking it completely apart and assembling it in place. It is not a problem for me, I was just looking for a short cut. Thanks!

HubbardRA
I pulled the diff apart this evening. Nothing broke, the collar on the left side axle had come loose, letting the axle slide to the right and disengage the right side gear. The left axle gear was engaging both sets of spiders, so it was constantly powered. I replaced this old style diff with a late model limited slip unit. I disassembled the entire unit to do the install. It looks like you may be able to do this without disassembly if the axle will slide out far enough to remove the lock ring. This wouldn't work on mine because there was a burr on the axle shaft and I couldn't get the gear off without doing some filing on the axle. I had to remove the housing out of the way.