Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

info needed...

JanH

have had a hard time getting info on this walking tractor...have finally gotten a picture of it. Trying to find tires (one blew, one is bad...no Tractor Supply and other farm stores we've checked so far doesn't have them), get it running (still), and figure out how to *use* the thing. Am going to try to attach a photo here (not sure how to do that or where *else* to put it but several have asked for a photo).
Let me help a little. Here's the pics from his personal photo gallery... Kent [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/JanH/walkingtractor2.JPG[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/JanH/walkingtractor.JPG[/img]

Thats a shifter one. my uncle has been looking for years to find one. They were one of the best ones ever built. from the pics it looks like it has a wesconson engine on it is that right? If so they are pretty easy to come by if you cant get yours to run. My uncle has about 5 of them that he has got over the years.

Are those 6.00 X 12 tires, or what? 6.00 x 12s usually aren't stocked too much anymore, but there's lot's of places to order them.

Might want to check out this link for tires at Cedar Rapids Tire. They have 6.00 X 12 listed. Usually have them in the same week you order them I did. 6.00 X 12 at this link [url]http://shop.cedarrapidstire.com/results.asp?tcat=LG&beadsize=6.00-12[/url] Or 6 X 12 at this link [url]http://shop.cedarrapidstire.com/results.asp?tcat=LG&beadsize=6-12[/url]

You will not be able to get the knobby tires any more but you can put on bar treads and yes they are suppose to be 6/12 I have a few around here but they are a litle dry rotted and I do use them on a few of my walkers.That is the same as a simplicity model V. It is sold as a Wards model,that is why you have wards riverside tires on it.That Wisconsin engine is sometimes a beast to start and once they are hot they do not like to start until cool.What do you need for information to get the engine running I know you had it running last month for a while.What happened? Bob

Hello, I'll concur with Bob in the above post. Machine is a Montgomery Wards Plow-Trac same basic machine a Simplicity Model V Walker. How do I know? I've got 2 of them. Wards are orange, and the plates sandwiched on the handles half way up are for the moldboard plow which is different than a simplicity plow. The Wisconsin engine is the wrong one, should be a briggs model 14 (5HP). How to use? I've modified standard tow behind tractor implements to work, my favorite is one of Dutch's serrated grader blades on a Brinley mount.

Yes it's a Wisconsin engine...AENR ? size 3X3-1/4 #143970 -- it was running but ceases to right when making progress. And, as posted a while back, it just takes off when trying to cultivate. Then starts stalling out, it'll till in one spot in neutral but keeps bumping into gear...so never have gotten a garden tilled. :-( The tires are dry rotted and don't look as big as the other one posted. Have a cultivator, tiller, mower and blade for it...had been hoping to use all but no so far. Have weeds 4' high now...can't get a regular tractor in. Don't have a sickle bar mower for it. Of course, finding tires is the first thing. Thanks for the links...hope I can find something. Doesn't have to be a certain tread of tire...as long as they hold air. BF is the mechanically inclined one in the household (showing the beast off in the photos!).

Hey Jan, The tires on my machine in the photo are 23x8.5x12 turf tires I swapped from one of my 4 wheel tractors, rims and all. The original tires are 6x12 Ag. The transmission does have a detent position for neutral between 1st and 2nd gear. As you've likely figured, to shift you pull the lever towards you and up to disengage then sideways to select a gear position, and down and push forward to engage the gears. Midway between 1st and 2nd if you push and jiggle it will stay in neutral. If it does not, the shift gate is worn out, it is a metal tab spot welded into the underside of the top cover on the gearbox. Later models had a spring going from the shift handle just above the union, going down to the handles to keep it from jumping out of neutral. The run and die problem sounds like a blocked screen in the tank. Good luck, and have fun.

Will check the screen...and the other things. Thanks. Right now trying to keep vehicles of other kinds running and trying to compensate for short checks. :-/