Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2001 Landlord vs. 2003 16hp Conquest

I'm looking at purchasing a new Simplicity Garden/Yard Tractor. I can get the least expensive 2003 Conquest (16hp, 44" Deck) for $4100 or a 2001 Landlord (brand new still in crate, 18hp Briggs, 44" Deck) for $4000. Can anybody recommend which is the better machine. Does the Landlord compare more to the Prestige or the Conquest? Are there any benefits of going with the Landlord? Can the Landlord handle a front end loader? I don't have to cut grass very often, but want to use the machine for hauling dirt and pushing snow and maybe a bit of dirt or mulch now and then. I've settled on the simplicity because my property has many steep hills. My terrain is also rough (small streambed crossing and rocks). Are the Deck rollers going to catch on rocks and other rough parts? Thanks a ton for the help and the great site. Best, Tom

Welcome to the club Tom, Well I dont have any first hand experience with any of the tractors you listed above (to new for me).However from reading messages here and elseware I belive the Conquest has a lighter duty transmission than the Prestige.As for the Landlord well I don't know much about that tractor...but I think it would compare more with the Prestige.Maybe someone else will have more advice for you...

I have a 20 HP Landlord DLX that I purchased new in 1999 and have had no trouble with it whatever. The landlord I think does not sit up as high as the conquest and would be more stable an hills. Does the landlord have a pedal to lock the rear wheels. This is very handy.

Mowerman: Thanks! As I understand it, the Landlord was replaced by the Conquest and Prestige, the Conquest being the lower end. I just checked the info I have. The Landlord has the K-71 Transmission, while the Conquest has the K-66. The Prestige (which is out of my price range has the K-71) I guess that tells me the Landlord is indeed made for tougher work. I'm not sure the Landlord I'm looking at has the Differential Lock, but the Conquest does (point, Conquest). Does anybody know if the Landlord frame is stronger than the Conquest.

Hi Tom and welcome, I have a Prestige and I love it. It has the 23HP Kohler in it and I have never bogged down the engine. I dont think you can put a front end bucket on the Prestige though im not completely sure. However I would go with the HP. Good luck!

Hi tom, I also own a Prestige and if it is out of your price range, I would go with the Landlord. The K71 transmission is servicable, it has a internal filter. The K66 transmission is a sealed unit and has no filter. The K71 also holds about twice the amount of oil.

I have a 96 Landlord with almost 600 hours on it. The only problem I've had is a battery cable needed replace. Mine is used all year round. Great tractor.;):)