Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
chrisdeis

Rookie w/717

chrisdeis
I'm the proud new owner of a '67 or maybe it's a '69 Broadmoor 717. Runs good and has a good deck but I'm not sure what's the best way to get parts. Should I just look for a parts tractor or can you find replacement front wheels for this thing from a supplier? I'm in Indianapolis. Not sure whats the best thing to try. Really enjoying this old tractor though and I'd like to get it restored to 100%. The tranny is a bit persnickity. Sometimes it helps to rock a bit to get it into gear (about 10% of the time) Are they all like this or is this a problem begining? Also I'd be interested in info on fixing the gas gauge (all there but don't work) and parts list for the mower deck. Sure appreciate any help. I'll try and get a picture posted next time. Thanks in advance... Chris

samson
The best way to get parts is threw the club.just advertise. also EBAY has alot of stuff on now. Click on select forum at the bottom of the talking tractors page. also look under classified ads at top of page. I got alo of my stuff that way. samson

mowerman1193
Well it sounds like you have a good machine there...I have two of the 717's,one is currently being restored...I am haveing new decals made up for it and hopefully will be able to supply others with decals in the future... Here is a link to the mower manual below.. [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_1620_00_AT_S.pdf[/url] And here is another for the tractor.... [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_1615_00_BM_S.pdf[/url] Good luck with it....

Tom_Byrne
Hello Chris, Welcome to the club! If the gauge is all there as you say the cork on the bottom may be stuck- try to work it loose so it slides up and down. As for parts, I have never had a problem finding them(eBay, club classifieds) but I prefer buying parts tractors myself. The last on I got was two years ago and I am still picking off of it! Good Luck!

mowerman1193
Yes,parts tractor and good running complete tractors can be had pretty cheap.I think most people look at the little tractors as just a mower but they can do most of the work that the bigger one's do.They are very heavy built...Seems to be alot of them in my area that can be bought for $50 or less...Might try looking around for a parts tractor if you need many parts,don't take long to ad up $50 in parts when buying them..

samson
By front wheels, Do you mean the rims or the tires? If its the rims you can by bushings for less than 6.00. I was going to buy new rims until I found out the price [72.00 a piece] Sand blast paint and new bushings is the way to go. samson

chrisdeis
Please put me down for a set of decals if you do end up with additional's. Thanks for the good info. Chris
quote:
Originally posted by mowerman1193
Well it sounds like you have a good machine there...I have two of the 717's,one is currently being restored...I am haveing new decals made up for it and hopefully will be able to supply others with decals in the future... Here is a link to the mower manual below.. [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_1620_00_AT_S.pdf[/url] And here is another for the tractor.... [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_1615_00_BM_S.pdf[/url] Good luck with it....

KSever
Chris, What do you mean by front wheels? I do have two sets of spare front wheels for a 717. One set is original and the other set is a split rim type. If it's tires your looking for they can be had at many suppliers for pretty cheap. Kris

mowerman1193
Ok I will post a message about the decals when I get them done....It cost a forturn to have them made up but once the labor ($65pr.hr) is done its only a matter of printing them up.I have some made up now but I don't plan to get a complete set done until late summer or maybe even this fall.I hope to be able to sell a complete set for around $80 but I will have to see when all is done...