Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rear Axle Seals How To Pics

ReedS

Since Memorial Day was wet and rainy I decided it was time to replace the rear axle seals on both the 700 and the 2110. Since the ones on the 700 weren't to hard I thought I would take some pics while I changed the ones on the 2110.

Step 1 Find a nice spot to work on tractor ,jack up and support rear of tractor, remove rear wheel weights and tires.

Step 2 Remove set screws from left hub(as viewed from rear). This important becuse the set screw that holds the axle is fairly long and if its not far enough out you can damge the axle. Use a hub puller to remove left hub (as viewed from rear). The puller in the pic is an old blue point hub remover it's a little big but it works:

DSCN0341m.jpg.8c9e07af19bf5c8c14f5645866ec3a02.jpg

The set screw with the point is the one that holds the axle shaft:DSCN0350m.jpg.711f1cbe35822fe091ac1a9d235da381.jpg

Step 3 Once the hub is removed file any burrs form the axle shaft and using a soft mallet (lead, rubber or brass), tap the inner diff. casting out away from trans. There should be nothing holding this from moving, the snap ring is stop but there are 2 keys which keep the diff hub from rotating on the shaft: 

DSCN0342m.jpg.9f83739fab5cb258d436ead16ddf0937.jpg

DSCN0343m.jpg.2936258ddbcdbbad90d6755935d4c35e.jpg

Step 4 Once the diff hub is disengaged from the shaft (and the keys are in a safe place) slide the diff and axle assembly to the right:

DSCN0344m.jpg.0e5f065b2795a6ffaba54e20f691f23f.jpg

Step 5 After axle is removed, remove snap ring and grease zerk from axle tube. Use sand paper or scotch-brite on axle tube to remove rust,dirt and paint from tube also file any burrs on the tube. Tube surface must be smooth to not damage new seals:DSCN0345m.jpg.ddb7fe2863434181ea017bf9a1867720.jpg

Step 6 Removing the seal. I used a well placed screw driver between the trans case and the outer edge of the seal to pry the seal from the trans case. Be extremely careful to not make any nicks or burrs on the axle tube while doing this. And if any one has a better way by all means say so! After seal is removed, check the axle tube for wear in the seal area. If the tube is grooved deeply, install a sleeve to repair the damaged area so the new seal will seal properly:

DSCN0348m.jpg.0e9ebb50d0949e7e2c1f984e0cbe73d6.jpg

Step 7 Installing the seal. To prevent the seal from being damaged on the snap ring groove I used a piece of heavy plastic wrapped around the axle tube. I found this worked very well and it was very slippery esp when the seal is lubed. I used product called Transgel which is used to lube seals, o-rings etc. during assembly. I also used some gasket cement on the outside edge of the seal to help it stay in place once installed. I wish I could say I had a seal driver for this part of the job but I did not and had to very carefully tap the seal in place with a hammer and drift punch hopefully I didn't damage the seal:

DSCN0347m.jpg.1b824c67fadf72ac42788e0df42bcff6.jpg

Step 8 Follow same procedure for the other seal. If the tube is smooth enough the plastic can be skipped.

Step 9 Assembly of the axle shaft is reverse of disassemlby. Don't forget to grease the axle and check trans fluid level!

Happy tractoring to all!

Edited by PhanDad
Added missing pics
  • Like 2

Your descriptions sound right on to me. I had to do it twice because my axle tubes were grooved from wear. You might want to add "Inspect axle tube for wear grooves and install a speedi-sleeve if necessary." stinkie

Many thanks Maynard for your help with the pics,my keybord was starting to look like a pillow and surely would have been had I not finished when I did. Stinkie.. I will add your suggestion to the description. It's very important to check the tube for wear in the seal area. My thought was that this may help with all of the can I take the diff off like this questions that I seem to have seen lately. Happy tractoring! :D:D:D

Nice post. What in the heck is a Speedi Sleeve? And where would one be bought? Simp. part or bearinrg supply house? ken

Thanks for the pictures. I have 3 tractors that are ready for this operation and really like having the pictures for when I get around to doing this.

Thanks For the Tips and the photo's I printed this off I'm proabaly gonna have to fix my B112 one of these Days.. If not then I'm sure another one will come along....

Ken, A speedi sleeve is a metal "sock" that is used to repair shafts, or in this case axle tubes, that have grooves worn in them from being rubbed by oil seals for an extended time. This is a common problem with these old tractors. If you put a new seal in, make sure that there isnt a groove worn in the tube. If there is, your new seal will likely leak just as bad as the old one. I think the company that makes the sleeves has a website, try a yahoo search. They are relatively inexpensive, about 25 bucks. An axle tube is over 100 bucks. That is why they are such a great help to us old tractor users..... By the way, I think this is a great post. We might even want to start a forum entitled "tutorials" for great helps such as these. Good job Reed!!! stinkster

Stinkie, You mean something like this page for a tutorial page in the link below? That's what SimpletrACtors is nice for, it has alot of information there. Kent has done a Great job of this website. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/Main/do_it_yourself.htm[/url]

Reed, That was a very nice post to read. Posts such as this are what make this site so wonderful. I have new seals and need to install them but have kind of been intimidated. Your step by step was great. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge and pictures. Thanks, Alan