Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Old tractor cut

Boney

How well to the older Lawn/Garden tractors cut grass ? In regards to the look, and ability to not leave those little " grass turds " all over the lawn. Thanks for any help with this.

IMO they do as good if not a better job than any new mower on the market, if the blades are sharp and the deck is setup properly....:)8D

Yes I agree with Mike if the blades are sharp and the deck is set up properly they do a good job...

I dont think the older one spead the clippings out as far as the newer ones that I have had anyway...but overall I still would rather use the older one,one thing though is blade options,I just have thestock blades and I have heard the gator blades do a better job...

Mowerman1193 are the newer one your talking about have only 2 blades?? Also The newer ones in my opinion ( don't want to get a Blade speed debate going) Spin faster then the old 3 blade ones....

The newer mowers use a high vacuum design in their housings. This is goof for short grass that is mowed often. If the grass gets overly high the grass will clump up in the aero passages and come out in clumps. The older mowers have lots more space underneath for grass to circulate. They cut and discharge grass at a more uniform rate with tall grass. They are not as good at mulching as the new ones. I like the older ones because I can mow higher grass without leaving the windrows that the newer ones leave. I started using a 48 inch mower under my AC two years ago, and hope I never have to use a Murray, Dynamark, MTD or any of the other throwaways again.

Bunky,I have used both the 2 and 3 blade decks.Although the 2 blade one do throw the grass out much better than the 3 blade.It really depends on the tractor and deck design... The best cut I have ever had in tall grass would be my Wheel Horse with the 42in. rear discharge deck.I have cut grass that was as high as the front wheels and never really got any clumping.It spreads it out evenly over the lawn.Works real well with the double blades on it... I agree with you Rod...I have used the throw aways and I will never use on of those again...

For what it's worth, I just sold my 12hp Murray with a very good 40" deck that was properly set-up, new bearings, & sharp,... & now use the '67 Broadmoor my neighbor gave me with the 3 blade 32" (I think) deck. It cuts as good, a bit quieter, but yes diffent than the Murry. The Murry blasts the clippings out farther and left the area "cleaner" looking, but the Broadmoor is more satisfying because it stripes nicely and leaves a very even, narrow trail of clippings that can easily be cleaned if desired. Plus it's got a lot of character & that great Simplicity ride. It's hard to describe but the l'il Simplicity just feels more workman like going about it's business than the much bigger Murray did.

I agree with you chrisdeis,I have several tractors here and my favorite to mowe with in my 67 Broadmoor.Only thing it takes alot longer to mowe my 2 acres than the Landlord takes but I enjoy using it anyway...

I have to agree with you both I'm not really into the broodmoors just for the fact that there not really big enough for my yard and i've always had a bigger one.... Even though I have mowed my yard with a yeoman a time or 2 .. There is just something about the simplicity's that we love....

There is something that I don't understand from others comments. I got clumps and windrows from Murrays, Dynamarks, and Craftsman mowers. My 48 inch AC mower spreads the grass out better and does not leave the clumps and rows like the others. This seems to be opposite of what others are saying. Oh well, I always seem to going in the opposite direction from everyone else.

Rod, My landlord also spreads the grass clipping out. I look at this as a labor saving device. I don't have to rake. The only time I have clumping is when the grass gets to long. Maybe 5 inches or so. Rick.......

old ones spread them better or more evenly while the new ones throw them further. If you mow regularly and dont let the grass get too high, and are lazy like me and dont wanna rake, further into the season the lawn will look better and better with the older machines. Just my opinion. I like the stripes and the non scalping of the Simp decks. Aside from that is the weight of the old tractors. I have a wet lawn much of the year. I have seen times when the simplicity rollers were pushing water while mowing and if I used the cheaper or throwaway brands I'd be pushing the tractor or not mowing it at all. I also think the full width rollers and the simple weight of the deck leave the lawn smoother over time.

I also dont get the clumping unless the grass get too high.I guess if you are not cutting too much off the grass and you get the clumping I would be checking the deck for level and to see if the blades are sharp....also check for the belts to be good ect..

And, 1. Make sure you're mowing at full throttle so the blades are spinning as fast as they're supposed to... 2. Only mow when the grass is dry. My favorite time to mow is just after the dew has dried off, but before noon. The grass is dry, but there's still not as much dust as you'll sometimes get if you mow later in the afternoon of a hot, dry summer day...

I think a lot of it has to do with the size and design of the exit chute and and chute guard. If I cut with my Simp. with the blade guard on, it clumps up pretty bad. But since I've taken it off, it spreads it out more evenly and actually prevents me from having to drive back over it to blow it away. By the way, most of the time, when I mow, I cut as normal, but when I finish I drive it in diagonal rows to blow the clippings to the side, therefore leaving a clean cut yard.

I've had three mowers since we moved into high grass country. A B-10, a toro, and the Deutz-Allis 613 I use now. I was impressed with the amount of grass it could go through and how quiet it is (12.5 hp twin briggs). When the blades are sharp it does much better than our neighbors newer machines.

My main tractor is a 12.5 LTH. It gives an excellent cut with a 38 inch 2 blade deck. My Serf 515 with a 28 inch 2 blade deck gives a good looking cut but does not stripe the lawn as it only has 2 rollers. My Yeoman 616 has the 32 inch 3 blade deck and does a great job almost as good as the newer tractor. I like to use the little guys to mow under my apple and fruit trees because the seats are so low. My wife thinks I'm crazy for using 3 tractors to mow the lawn but thats what its all about, right? MikeG

Hi Boney, I've got old stuff, a Simpl. twin blade 36" 4111, 728 Broadmoor 36" 3 blade and Toro 32" single (1) blade. There are, as you've read, numerous variables, eg. deck design, etc., so I'm only talk'in arbitrarily, looks after my grass is cut. Ratings: Ist place- 3 blade, 2nd- 2 blade 3rd- single blade. As decided by an independent panel of off-the-street derelicts gathered by offers of free beer. Andy