Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Minnesota Viking blowing smoke

niceguy

My dad has a 3-4 yr old simplicity thats all decked out in NFL purple and gold. Not a lot of hours..The other night it was as if the crank case was pressurized and blew a quart of crankcase oil out through the carburator. Smoke was everywhere. He thought maybe he blew her up. 2 days later he changed the oil; cleaned the plug and she runs like a watch. ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS? DAD IS A COUPLE HOURS AWAY SO i HAVE NOT SEEN WHAT IS GOING ON. I wondered if a valve froze or stuck. I believe it is a 14 horse

Not knowing a model of tractor, but if gas tank is above the engine, I would guess that carb float stuck and let gas fill into crankcase and today most crankcase breather systems vent into carb.

I thought it was a common occurance for at least one Viking to blow smoke, and inhale it too, a wideout named Randy something.

Don't worry guys, a Simplicity (even one painted in Randy's colors) will always roll and therefore gather no Moss.:D

Which mean the above 'wise men' haven't a clue to your tractor problem, but a fix figured out for the 'Vikings':D:D:D:D.

Niceguy.... Welcome...though I have no idea what happened to dads very cool and appropriate lawn gem, I welcome you to the club as a northlander would. Ignore those who just dont seem to understand the goodlife..... please give your dad our best, send some lefsa, lutefisk, a tuna cassarole and hope for a short winter. Dougm

Hi, We have seen this a number of times. First check the oil level. If it is over full correct this. Next check the seal under the dipstick cap. Be sure the dipstick is tight. Next ideally check the crankcase vacuum with a manometer. Most commonly we see the oil soak the oil filter and then the soaked filter chokes the engine. This causes BLACK smoke and causes excess fuel to end up in the crank case, causing oil to blow out the breather. Most of the time the oil blowing is caused by a bad head gasket. The compression will check normal as the gasket is not blown, but leaking. The leaking is from the combustion chamber either into the pushrod area or more common into the oil return passage from the valve cover. This leakage is enough reduce the crankcase vacuum and this causes the oil to blow into the air cleaner through the crankcase breather. We have probably fixed 40 or 50 of these engines for this problem. The heads are usually warped. The head gasket will not be blown, but the leakage evidence will be visable. If you have this problem, the head will usually have a bow of .004" or a little more from head bolt to head bolt hole. We just fixed a new engine for this problem this week [about 8 mo old.] If the engine is under warranty, we replace the head. One we had to replace both the head and block. Both were warped. If it is out of warranty we usually resurface it to true it up. Do not reinstall the head with out checking it and the block for flatness. The engine has to be removed from the tractor to get the head off. This problem shows up on the vertical shaft V twin Vangards also, It shows up on the left head about 3 times as often as the right side. We have probably fixed about 40 of these also. I think this is one area Tecumseh has excelled. They put 5 head bolts in their heads. This would be an improvement over the 4 briggs uses. Check her over, and if you need more help, yell. Good luck Al Eden

THANK YOU AL AND BLT FOR FOR THE INSIGHT...FOR THE FEW TIMES I HAVE POSTED; YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN THERE...AND; to the rest of the fans out there----the Minnesota Wild helps make up for the Vikqueens. Thanks for good humor my dad will love every minuite of it.