Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Went off roading with a tractor yesterday

Nick

I took my friends JD 1970 140 off road yesterday, It has a 8hp briggs that has balls! I was pretty surprised it actually made it up some of the muddy hills, especially one that was a 35 degree slope. for his throttle, he has a rope tied right to the governor, so when you pull back on it, all you here is what sounds like a Harley. Went through mud and streams, with no weight on the back, and regular turf tires with 50% of the tread left. I am surprised it didn't get stuck, It slid a little as when I was using it in the yard it would get caught in the dirt and just spin. I plan on taking my B-110 up there when I get it going, and it would be a little better then that JD.

It will surprise you what these machine can and will do... What was the throttle cable too expensive????? LOL (green paint parts are expensive)

quote:
Originally posted by Bunky What was the throttle cable too expensive????? LOL (green paint parts are expensive)
That's what I had asked him, he said the throttle cable that was on there would only get it up to 7 MPH, once he hooked up the rope he got it up to 12 MPH. Our town had put up one of those digital signs for the day that said Your speed is, and that's what it registered at.

Wow,I knew those radar signs was good for something.Where is that sign?I need to see how fast my tractors will go....LOL. Need to be carefull climbing some of them hills...if the tractor tire grip good you could be flipped over before you know what happend..

quote:
Originally posted by mowerman1193
Wow,I knew those radar signs was good for something.Where is that sign?I need to see how fast my tractors will go....LOL
Call your Town PD tell them you have alot of speeders on your street, they come and put up the sign, for the day. They take the data from the machine, and figure out if they need to put a cop on the street to catch speeders.

And i thought i was the only one that did that. I have a Jacobins hydro that I bought for $50 its all stock and goes about 12mph i got chanes on it and its got a 12hp koler. I can climb any hill that a 400 sports man 4X4 Plaris can climb. I also use to have a Arens rear engen rider but it went to slow i put bar tires on it. I had a front mount cultavater for it also. i about fliped it once though

I was going to take some pics, but I frogot the camera! I don't know how much longer I can go off roading with the tractor around here. It's amazing those woods are still there. With all the new over priced house's going up, theres a chance the woods not be there. I was thinking if I got a tractor just for off roading and working in the yard pulling rocks and such, that I would build a custom roll bar for the tractor. I also was thinking of having one made for my b-110 just so I can put flashing hazard lights high enough on the roll bar so when I take it on the road, people can actually see me.