Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

712 Shuttle worth?

Vic

I saw a 712S for sale that is in good condition and has a new crank just put in. Not being familiar wiht this model, what would it be worth to purchase? This includes a deck too. Thanks.

Last year,I bought a 712 Hydro,with a deck,snowblower,and snowblade,for $300.00. Needed a battery,and carb overhaul from sitting,otherwise runs OK.

I suggest you search the forums (including the archives) for the term shuttle... The shuttle trans certainly has mixed reviews when it gets worn... I have NO personal experience with one, and won't venture an opinion.

Vic You better stay with the ones your familiar with unless of course it is super cheap.:D How was your fishing trip up here in Gods country? Can’t :(help you out on your question about the price or tractor. Read here the shuttles are something to stay away from tho???

I would say that a 712S would go for about $400.-$600. on Ebay if it's in good condition. As a parts tractor you can figure it's worth $100.+ for the deck (48"). About $150. for the motor, $75. for the BGB, sheet metal is worth $75. and other parts probably get you another $50. to $100..

Don't let the anti-shuttle club scare you off. If maintained they hold up just fine, I have one that has been in the family since new (1977 or so) and the only thing that it has needed besides regular maintainence is a drive belt. As far as it's worth? Anywhere from $2-500 would be my guess. A lot depends on the overall condition, is the deck in good shape with tight spindles? Is the sheet metal straight and the paint in good shape?? How well does it run? Smoke? When the new crank was put in what else was done to the engine? Done by a professional? All this has a direct bearing on the tractors worth. I just found a 712s that looks almost new, runs great and works great also. Had friend of mine pick it up, he paid $900 for it with a really nice deck and a like new snow thrower. I thought he got a good deal, as does he.

I have a 7014S and love it. Just adjust it according to the book and you will have no problems. I have put this tractor through alot, that transmission is tough. I think alot of people just don't like to adjust the tranny. I asked the question about shuttles a while back and not one person mentioned anything like mechanical failure, just adjustment problems and dislike that you go the same speed in reverse as forward. But you can shift from forward to reverse slowly. Once you get used to the lever, you can actually slow down the shuttle. Worth depends on many things, location, etc. It seems in my area (western pa) used tractors get a little more than what I see in these forums from other parts of the country.

The shuttle tranny is the same as the 3 speed. Reverse is removed and a fourth gear added. It is very reliable. Adjustment on the external planetary setup that provides the forward-reverse change is the only problem with this unit. I am currently building a 712S. I will have about $300 invested in the paint and parts. To get this one, someone will have to come up with at least $1200. I don't plan on selling, but in my opinion any RBT in decent shape, with a 48 inch mower, is worth at least $750.

Thanks for all of the input on this tractor. I appreciated the insite. The guy wants $1,100 for it so it sounds to high even though it looks like a pretty straight & clean tractor. By the way Wayne (MN FISH), the fishing stunk in MN last weekend as the mayflies came out and blasted us!