Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

dieselman

48" deck belt

dieselman
I mounted my 48" deck up on my home made 920 tonight and the organl belt that goes from the bgb to the deck was to short. The mower has a 700 series rearend and a 912 frame and the deck came with the 700 series mower i bought. Was wondering if the 900's used a longer belt. also i saw that the discharge is backwards. all the other mowers i have are right hand dischage and this one is left. why did Simplicity do that? Thanks

PatRarick
Yes, the 900 series uses a longer belt. Don't have the part numbers handy, but the 900 series belt for the 48" deck is about 6" longer than on the 700 series. Not sure, but I believe the difference in belt length is due to the difference in the tensioners of the two series. Both pulleys move with the tensioner on the 700 series, while just the flat pulley moves on the 900 series. Also on the 900 series, the V-pulley is adjustable in a slot. Pat

Brent_Baumer
900 series belt is 78.something inches. 700 series belt is 71.something inches, almost 72" if memory serves........... A generic 78" belt from a farm or autoparts store will work on the 900 series but won't last nearly as long as an OEM belt. Brent

dieselman
Brent was right the 700 series are 71" i put a 72" belt on and it fit perfict. I have ran in to more problems with the frame. I knew it was longer but my dealer said it was just added to the frount but I have found more diffrences in the back than he said there would be.

Brent_Baumer
I have discovered the same as you about the generic 72" belts on the 700 series and 78" on the 900 series. I usually keep a couple of each on hand ( I mow alot with 3 different tractors). BUT, these are for emergency use only. The $35 OEM belts will usually last a long time. The $8-$11 generic belts will get you by long enough to finish the lawn and maybe a few weeks more but they will stretch and/or fail much sooner. I just don't want to invest the high $ OEM money in backup belts. Brent