Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mbrook

How do you approach someone?

mbrook
What do you feel is the best way to ask someone if they want to part with that "old tractor in the weeds"? I have a tendency to take the long way into work just to see what I can see. So far this spring I have located/found the following: - Late 60's model Simplicity with deck leaning against the garage. - 3212H with tiller attached next to a small shed. - Early 70's model with the quad headlights next to garage with flat tires, hood half up and weeds past the running boards. - 7114 parked by the road that looks like its been there a while. Should I start knocking on doors and ask if they want to get rid of them or just forget about them?

RickS
I would approach them and ask if they would like you to haul the tractor away. I found that people get use to seeing the old stuff there and never throw it out. Try and make it sound like you are doing them a favor. If they want you to take other stuff, I would agree unless the pile of other stuff is too large. If that approach does not work, then I would offer them some money. The problem with the money approach is that the owner may decide the tractor is worth something and you are offering too low a price in the owner's eyse. Good ahead and knock on the door. You could be surprised. Rick........

stormy2163
I agree with Dan and Rick...all they can do is say no and it dosen't hurt to ask.Alot of people get great stuff just by asking.Some folks will give it away to get it out of the yard or ask a small price for what they no longer want or use.Me ..I would go prepared with a pickup and a trailer..if they say yes..load it up immediately and remember to smile...say yes sir and yes mam and drive off with a smile.Don't run over anyone in your excitement from your new found treasure. One mans junk is another mans treasure. Stormy

Bunky
1st I try a name on the mailbox and call them otherwise I just go up to the door and ask them If they would want to get rid of it.... They will either say yes or no.....

hufhouse
I would approach it as a "recycler." Take your truck and trailer, and tell them you would like to recycle the tractor and haul it away for them. They probably want to get rid of it, but don't know how. You would be doing them a favor. If they say that they are wanting to sell it, ask them if it runs and what attachments they have. Start into the "bartering" process with them. Maybe they just want $50 out of it to make them feel good...like they didn't let it sit there for nothing. No matter what you do...let us know how it turns out!

johnmonkey
It certainly is a good question. I have thought of ways to ask also because there is a 1940's or 1950's ford, fordson or massey ferguson close by and I have wondered for a few years on what to do. I see the people (an elderly couple in Their 80's or 90's) sitting out in their back yard. I was thinking of a note in their mailbox or stopping by and asking them if they wanted to get rid of it. JH

mbrook
I was wondering how long it would take before I started to get some offers to "help out". Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully tonight I will stop at the 7114 and see what they have to say. Since this one is close to the road I'll just ask if thay had planned on selling it. As for the others, I'll have to try them another time. I just hope nobody here beats me to them!

SmilinSam
I like the way my buddy Ed ( does the same thing with these tractors as I do) does it. Last year he drove by a yard with a 3212V with a hydrolift on it sitting in a yard with tall grass around it. He pulled in the drive when the owner was out in the yard and asked if he wanted to buy some parts to fix it. The owner told him "no, but if you want to buy it I'll give it to you for $10 if you get it outta here today". Ed said thats not the first time that approach has worked. Sam

BrownA
I bought 4 truck loads of Gravely stuff by knocking on the door. The widow was thrilled to have someone interested and the price was super. They felt that they were the lucky ones by me showing up and doing all the work. Then the neighbors noticed what I was doing and started asking if I was interested in their stuff. All they can do is say no. Go for it, you will feel better after you ask. Good luck, Al

mbrook
Update! Stopped to talk to the owner of the 7114 sitting near the road. I pulled in the drive as she and her brother were sitting on her front porch. As I walked past the tractor I noticed a gas can sitting next to it. I said I thought this tractor might be for sale so I stopped. She said no it just ran out of gas and always needs to be jumped to start and I haven't gotten around to it yet. Her brother asked if I need a mower. I said I'm looking to get one a little bigger than what I have (so I don't sound too desperate). She said their father passed away last year and had a JD sitting in the garage with a snowblower in great condition just had $400 worth of service done to it. Then he pipes in and says that maybe they will sell the Simplicity and keep the JD for her. I gave them my name and number and asked them to call me either way. As for the tractor, I have some questions for you. - Model is a 7114 Hydro (year mid 80's?, it has the round headlights in the hood) - Would it have a Kohler (air cleaner sits sideways)? - Would it be Hydrualic or electric lift (small lift lever on left side)? One down 3 more doors to knock on

Nick
I think your "on the road" to getting what you want. I noticed driving around within a 15 mile radius of my house there seem to be a lot of 1969-1970 Chevy pickups sitting around I can count 8 of them that actually can be seen from the road. There is an older dairy farmer around here (one of the last) that has a bunch of stuff in his yard, I was with someone stopped to see about one of those Chevys he had up there, He wanted to buy some parts off it, never got what he wanted off the truck, but ended up buying a Massey Ferguson farm tractor off him. So if you stop for one thing you might just end up with something else.

dieselman
Yes the tractor came out in the mid 80's as you thought. They were the same as the 900 series. Im betting it would be a kohler engine. It is probley manual lift I saw a 919 this spring with a short lift lever. They hydrolic lift used a tall sliver lever and electric lift used a switch on the dash. hope it turnes out good for ya.

simplicity707
hi, back in december i noticed a 1964 simplicity broadmoor sitting in a guys backyard. i called him and asked if i could come down and take a look at it and he said yes. i stopped by and he told everything about it. he said he bought it of the original owner, for a fun project to work on. he said he never got around to it, so he parked it in his backyard 3 years ago. i believed hime because there was a tree growing right up throught the pivoting axle. he told me i could take it for $5.00. he said the had the mower deck, but it was so rotted, when we tried to move it just fell apart, so i left it behind as i had another deck. you never know what kind of deals you could run into just for the asking. thanx dave p.

maddog57
You've been told "no" before......whats one more time ,right ? ya dont know till ya ask........to most ppl......everything is for sale except my tractor and my wife but sometimes i'd almost give her away. knock on those doors and better yet catch them when they are outside lookin for somethin to do...they might just help ya load it.