Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
stroh

A Couple of Questions

stroh
I recently bought a 1998 agco allis 918H. Tractor runs fine but, when I put the hydro stick in the neutral position the tractor moves backward. Neutral stop position is just above the neutral slot position. Does this indicate any problem with the transmission itself or can i just ignor it. Second and general question, I want to clean up the engine and the tractor, and i would like to know what you guys find works best. thanks don. :)

Kent
1. Sounds like a simple adjustment needed on the hydro control linkage. This adjustment procedure is defined in the Large Frame Tractor Service Manual. It has also been discussed here quite often. Try searching the discussion archives for "hydro creep" or a similar term. 2. For a degreaser, I use the Castrol Purple stuff -- can't remember the exact name "Super Purple" or "Purple Power" or something like that. It comes in a purple jug -- not to be confused with Simple Green. I like this stuff much better, since it seems to be stronger. Works great, and is water soluble for cleanup, but will also dissolve the top layer of your asphalt driveway, so be careful where you use it and wash it off... The rest of the stuff gets cleaned with normal automotive cleaners, waxes, etc.

johnmonkey
"Castrol super clean" "tough task cleaner degreaser" This is the same stuff that I use and it does work good. I also use "gunk" degreaser. It looks like great minds think alike :D. JH

UCD
[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//attach/UCD/HydrostaticNeutralAdjustment.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//attach/UCD/HydrostaticNeutralAdjustmentcont.jpg[/img]

Kent
I used to use Gunk concentrate and mix it, then use it in the parts cleaning tub and to degrease with. I also used aerosols of about every kind... Then I tried this purple stuff, and that's all I'll use now. I just put some in an old squirt bottle and use it that way. It doesn't have the strong chemical smells of the petroleum based degreasers, doesn't leave an oily residue (great when you'll be painting), it cuts grease pretty danged well, and it too washes off with water. One caution -- if your hands are going to be in it a long time, be careful of any cuts or scratches since it might burn... it's pretty strong stuff. I think it's about $7 a gallon at Wally World, but I honestly can't remember...

Nick
I use ZEP INDUSTRIAL PURPLE CLEANER & DEGREASER. It comes in a gallon. I payed $8.00 for it at Home Depot. I've also used the same stuff Kent uses and comparing the two they are about the same.