Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Homelite BGB - Simplicity Equivalent

PhanDad

A friend's T-16 BGB is shot. Might only need the two bevel gears, but a tight used BGB may be a better way to go. I understand there are at least two sizes of BGB's - small and large. Is it safe to assume the T-16 uses the bigger box? Any help on an equivalent Simplicity BGB would be appreciated. Next stop the classifieds. Thanks

Bill, Just to clarify, there's actually more than two specific types... the later models used larger input shafts than the earlier models. But, with the early models there were also at least two types. Those used on the early hydros and variable speeds had a longer, threaded output shaft on the right side. The early tractors with standard 3-speeds used a shorter, keyed shaft on the right side. To be perfectly honest, I don't know if t here were different varieties of the later models that have the larger input shafts, nor the differences if there are any. All that said, we probably need more info on the Homelite. Is it made by Allis or Simplicity. What transmission does it have?

Kent, thanks for the speedy reply - I know it's an AC made Homelite with the hydrostatic transmission, but kept it a secret!

I used a BGB from a 1970's homelite t-13 shuttle in a 1974 simp 3410 and it swapped without any problems. JH

The BGB that John used was attached to the tranny I am using in my AC712 project tractor. I replaced it with a BGB from an AC 710. There was no difference.

If ya need a BGB for the home light out of a homelight hydro with a Vicker hydro there is a salvige yard in SE Iowa that has one laying in the shead PM me if ya want the phone number they probley will take it out and send it to ya.

I replaced the bgb in my t15 with one out of a ac710 there was a small difference.The shaft on the pto side dos'nt have the keyway cut as far as the t15.

On the 1971 and newer gear boxes with the larger diameter input shaft there are two different cross shafts used. The Hydros, 3 speeds and shuttles use one cross shaft(part # 173966 for the 3400 series and newer that has a full length keyway, and part # 172208 on the 3300 series with a shorter length keyway)) and the 3300 series vari drive tractors had gear boxes using a longer shaft (longer on the transmission drive side)Don't have a part number for that one. On the older smaller diameter boxes the hydros and the 3 speeds used one shaft (Sim part # 154135)and the vari drives used a longer shaft too(Sim part# 164114).