Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Mower deck idler pulley

This week-end the bearing on the mower deck idler started to go out. It is riveted together, wondering if it is possible to drill them out to change the bearing or if I should just buy a new pulley?

Mel_W
Boy I don't like to argue with the boss but, I have been drilling them and reriveting them for several years and I'v had no trouble at all. you can get the rivets at the ace hdware. Mel_W

Kent
Boss? Who? Not in my house... Mel, feel free to disagree. The missus does all the time -- just don't expect me to kiss you too... :D All I shared was my opinion... never tried replacing them to see whow that works...

Well, I drilled out the rivets no problem, but the halves won't separate and I don't have a press available tonight, so I'll try to pick one up tomorrow to get operational. (grass is growing fast) thanks for the input. By the way Mel, did yours come apart easily or did you have to work at it. thanks, Warren

Bunky
I have always thought of taking them apart and putting in new bearings, Just never seemed to ahve the time to mess with it when it breaks I just switch one froma part sdeck or go buy a new one... Let us know how it turns out and maybe I will try it on an old one I have laying around..

HubbardRA
The local "True Value' hardware, 1 mile from my house, carrys a good selection of these idler pulleys in stock. It is not worth messing with them compared to the price of a new one. Has the drive clutch idler sieze up on my 61 Wards during the winter. They had an exact replacement in stock for a price that made me decide not to touch the old one.

mowerman1193
Rod H.I agree,by the time you get the old one apart and look up a bearing and put it back together it is not worth it...Now if you replace with a new one and then mess with the old one in your spare time to have when the new one goes bad would be diffrent I guess.Although they way I am the old one would set on the bench until the new one went bad then I would have to go get another new one,LOL

Local implement store has pulley and I'll pick it up in the AM, just in case the monsoon lets up long enough to do some cutting. I am still going to see if I can get the old one apart and if it would be repairable. Thanks for the input, Warren

BillC
I have successfully replaced the bearings in two-piece, rivet construction pulleys. Drill out the rivets, replace the bearing and use the biggest (#10 or #12) hex head machine screws with nylock nuts. Only use the nylock nuts once.