Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Is sending your flywheel to B&S necessary?

Nick

My friend found for me a used Magnetron coil, which came of a newer 12 HP Briggs. I wanted to know if it is absolutely necessary to send the flywheel to B&S to be repolarized. Also if I have to send it, It is free right? (I know one member gave me the info to send it in but it is still hard to believe) Do I need to send them money to have it sent back or do they pay for it?

My understanding is that yes You have to send it in I have tried numerous modules on my 10hp and no luck It's also my understanding that you pay to send it to Briggs and then they repolarize the flywheel and send it back you pay nothing.....

You will have to have it repolarized for the magnetron. Napa sells a module that replaces the points and condensor, I have never had a problem with them. Ray

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Stanchak
My friend found for me a used Magnetron coil, which came of a newer 12 HP Briggs. I wanted to know if it is absolutely necessary to send the flywheel to B&S to be repolarized. Also if I have to send it, It is free right? (I know one member gave me the info to send it in but it is still hard to believe) Do I need to send them money to have it sent back or do they pay for it?
If your talking the older cast iron engines, it has been told to me that have to have it done.

Nick, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink". Call B&S if you're unsure about all of this to verify their flywheel service is still as stated (when I put that link/info on this website). Tom(PK)

Nick there's pretty specific guidance buried in the archives on exactly which engine flywheels must be repolorized. Search using the Discussions >> Search the Forums link, click to search the Archived Posts, and search for the term: repolarize I don't remember the specifics since it didn't apply to me, but the info by serial number and/or date of production is buried in there somewhere...

Thanks Kent, I forgot about the search feature. I read that Magnetron has been used since 1982.

Last time I sent mine was about 2 months ago and it was available just like powerking one had posted. I used that link he had posted and had no problem. You just have to send it to B&S with a note what you are changing over to ignition wise and they will repolorize the flywheel. All you pay is the shipping to B&S and they will do the work and ship back to you no charge. Got mine back the same week I sent it and very well packed in form fitting foam.

I found the Napa part number for the module that I used it is 7-01750. I have been using this a couple of years on my B 212. Ray

Ray, Does the NAPA module mount in the same location as points/condensor did? If so, do you have any idea if it works as well/matters if you've switched things over to a battery-coil system? thanks much,

I tried one a napa module on my Mine was green said for Briggs Engines.... But I couldn't get it to work... Maybe I don't have the right one ...

quote:
Originally posted by stumpy
Does the NAPA module mount in the same location as points/condensor did? If so, do you have any idea if it works as well/matters if you've switched things over to a battery-coil system? thanks much,
I don't know what NAPA sells, but if you get the two wire type you can mount it anywhere; to the engine, under the seat, on the hood. All you need is a good ground. You could even hide it inside the point cover so none of the FDT crowd will know you came into the 21st century. It won't work with a battery ignition, only a magneto. [img]http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/701214_lg.jpg[/img]

I was planning on putting that module on my 3.5 briggs. but as the old term implies, "if it aint broke don't fix it"