Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler Engine Swap Question

BLT

My friend has a K301 engine which chucked up the rod and did some nasty damage. He found a new K321 engine with a manual start. Being his original engine is an electric start, can the flywheel on the old engine and allied parts be used on the new engine? I have a gut feeling it is OK, but I'm not as knowledgable with Kohler as I am with Briggs or Tecumseh. It's on a 7013 tractor.

i'm not sure on the flywheel but you might be able to take the ring gear off the flywheel and use it on the new one... I really don't know mucha bout Kohler either but I know some of the ring gears unbolt....

you should be able to swap it over. may take a little work though. you may have to change the bearing plate to get the charging unit to mount up. most rope start models had a mag. ,some newer blocks don't have holes in the block to put points so you need to make sure you have a ignition systom, a place for the charging unti & a ring gear flywheel . probably going to have to set them side by side & start looking at what the old one has & new one needs