Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RandyJB

Converting to pointless ign

RandyJB
I am putting my Big 10 back together, I needed a new ign. armature, points and condenser. My parts guy suggested using a pointless armature. I failed to ask how to wire it up for the points. What all do I need to do? Thanks, Randy

Dutch
You don't....... Just as the term implies, "Pointless" (electronic) ignition doesn't need or use the points. You can leave the points where they are and disconnect the wires, or you can take them out and throw them away.

Nick
Randy, First off welcome to the club. Please read my topic, Is it nessecary to send my flywheel to B&S? A newer Magnetron armature will cost around $35.00. You have to send the flywheel to Briggs & Stratton to be repolarized, which is a free service from B&S. I would call them to verify if this is still in effect. (I am on monday) You have to do this in order for the new armature to work. then do as Dutch stated. Here is the flywheel info: The Menomenee Falls location below is where to send your flywheel for re-polarization or re-magnetization service. Turn around is generally the same day. You pay for shipping to them, and they do the service free and cover the return shipping. Include a letter in the box stating what you want done (re-polarize or re-magnatize) and include your normal business letter info. Make sure the box is sturdy and well packaged to prevent damage. It is recommended to insure it for full replacement cost value. You can contact them for any further information at: Briggs & Stratton Corporation P.O. Box 702 Milwaukee, WI 53201 (414) 259-5333 (NOTE: not toll free) Briggs & Stratton Corporation Menomonee Falls Distribution Center W148N9121 Patrita Drive Menomonee Falls, WI 53051

Dutch
Randy, Before you replace the armature, make sure it is really bad. Ask your parts guy for an "electronic trigger". They cost about $10-$15. The trigger will eliminate the points and condenser, but use your existing armature. If your armature is good, BANG..... you'll have plenty of spark and you're all done with the conversion without replacing your armature or worrying about the flywheel polarization. I carry an electronic trigger in my toolbox with alligator clips for testing tractor engines before I buy. It's a one minute job to hook up.

RandyJB
Thanks to all that replied to my question. Just want to make sure this gets through this rock on my shoulders. Replace old arm. with Briggs #39881, repolerize flywheel, hook-up plug wire(no other wires),and fire it up. Thanks again, Randy