Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-112 not moving

LeoB

New problem, It's in the differential. The tractor stopped moving this afternoon while mowing. After checking it out a bit, it seemed that the problem was in the differential. I pulled the tire off on that side and pulled the hub plate off. The gears are chewed up on this piece. I haven't opened up the rest of the assembly yet to see what kind of damage is in there. I thought I would check in with you guys first. I'm not sure if the outer hub is made of a softer metal than the internal gears and so wears first 1.) Have you seen this before? 2.) Should I be looking for another Differential or if there is no damage to the inner gears, can I just replace the outer hub? 3.) Are the parts still available or am I looking for a used unit? As always, any advice is certainly appreciated. This is the first mowing of the season for the tractor and while disappointing, it's certainly no reason to consider replacing the beast if it can be repaired. Another thing, I did break an axle tube over the winter and replaced it. I'm not sure it's connected to this breakage but it's something to throw into the equation. Thanks

Well I had one go bad on a 64 landlord I had picked up and If I remember correctly most if a not all the parts were still available.. In my opinion I would not just change the outer hub unless you want just a temporary fix...

There is no pic to refer to, however i am assuming from what you say that there are teeth worn/torn off the outer drive gear. That meant there are metal shavings/spliters/filings in the grease. You will need at the least to replace the chewed up gear, remove & teardown the planetary(not difficult,Digital camera helps memory,but so does pencil & paper). Clean it all really good, looking for unusual wear & tear. Check the Inner gear & keys that lock it to the shaft(My 3212-the inner gear had no teeth left;my b110-the keys had fractured).Reassemble the planetary with lots of grease. Getting the gear off the hub is a mystery to me, but i've heard that it is secured to the hub with roll pins & that when replacing it, people have put smaller rollpins inside the larger rollpins for added strength.