Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler OHC TH18 air filters

I e-mailed Simplicity and Kohler about the air filter problems on my new Simplicity. I got a response from Simplicity tonight. Basically they said it was a Kohler problem and washed their hands of it. I responded politely and ask them to notify me if they ever decided to do anything to correct the problem. I also advised them there were other owners in the Simpletractor Club who had air filter problems with the Kohler v-twin engine. All now, Roy

Jeff, Yes they do. But, it is ridiculous to be required to service the air filter every time you use the tractor. Kohler & Simplicity have a sorry design for the application. My old B-1 probably has the original foam filter. I must have serviced it at least once or twice a year. Routine service is neccessary and good. Abnormally frequent service is a pain in the rear end. Please let me know if you become aware of a product or method to improve the situation. Thanks, Roy

I can agree with the daily check. Even farm tractors recommend checking the precleaner in dusty situations. But the problem is the sorry precleaner lets dust and dirt get through to the filter element. That filter needs to be in a housing to protect it from the engine air flow. My Sovereign can get plugged up in about 90 minutes. Then it chokes till the motor stops. I never had that problem with my 3416H. The Briggs had its filter off to the side.