Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A good point ?

Boney

I was talking to a friend about my loss of buying a JD and told him i was on the look out for a simplicity or CC. I told him about the floating Deck on the simplicty which is a point that i like and his response was { why would you want a yard that looks all wavy ? ) I did not know how to respond to this, not having ever owned a simplicty. Does the lawn realy come out wavey from the deck following all the dips and bumps in the yard ? I have never noticed this on any yards so my guess will be no, but i wanted to ask experienced people about this.thnx :)

What I do like about the simplicity deck is that, I believe most have the full length of rollers on the back of the deck. And I learned it here, that is what gives your yard the striped look. If you see a lawn that is well striped after being mowed, you can bet it was done by a simplicity.

Instead of "wavy" what you see in a lawn cut with a Simplicity deck is no short spots or scalps, where the deck cuts too close on a hump, or no tall spots where the deck passes over a valley. It gives the lawn a smooth, groomed look. They make my yard (doesn't really deserve being called a lawn) look much smoother and nicer than it really is... By the way, you don't have to put stripes on your lawn if you don't want to.... I never take the time, and my lawn doesn't have much large wide open spots where you have much nmaneuvering room. The stripes come from the rollers making the grass blades lie down. For the stripes to really show up, you need to mow each pass in opposite directions, so the grass lies down in one direction on the first pass, and in the opposite direction on the next pass. Then, you can go across those passes, either straight across or diagonally, and make some type of cross-hatch pattern...

I have never seen one that looked wavy either. And as for the (CC)Cub Cadet watch out MTD has ruined them just like everything else they have purchased. Ray

If your lawn has a lot of dips and bumps, it will look choppy no matter what kind of mower you mow with. If you use a mower with the deck hanging from the belly, the deck will move with the tractor as the wheels fall into the holes. As Kent wrote, the floating deck does a good job of making sure the grass is at a relatively consistent height, eliminating scalping. I am a big stiping fan, and I will probably never own anything but a Simplicity as long as I live in this house (with about 1-1/2 acres of backyard with very few trees). When I look out my back windows, it looks like a fairway at Augusta. That really gives me a lot of pride in a mowing job well done, not just "cutting the grass." If I'm going to spend two hours on a mower, I don't want to just shorten the grass. I could pay someone else to do that. Put another way, a perfectly level flat lawn will get a good cut from just about any quality mower. A somewhat bumpy lawn will probably get a better cut from a Simplicity, because there will be less scalping. Either way, unless you pull a roller every time you mow, you won't get the pronounced stripes from anything but Simplicity.

I have used simplicity's since I was a child and never had a Wavy yard.. If he tries a simplicity He's sure to like it...

Have yet to mow with my 920 (waiting on decals) but my uncle has a Massy 7 ( re powered with a Honda ) its one of his back up mowers. he only mows a large open area with it when he uses it. It has a full width roller on the deck but mounts on the frame in the front. the area he mows is by far the roughest in his yard due to parking fertilizer tanks, wagons, and tractors on it during the busy season and it does a great job of mowing over the ruff turf and doesn't leave a choppy look