Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
IronPony

Leaf Mulcher

IronPony
Saw a leaf mulcher in a picture but could not understand how it works. It was made for an Allis Chalmers garden tractor of some kind. Has anyone used one? How do they mount and how is it operated? Any info would be appriciated. Dan

UCD
Dan Was it Round and orange? It was an option in late 60's early 70's and It mounts on the front of the tractor and runs off the front pully the same as a snowblower. It could be adapted to the newer style tractors It is operated by starting the tractor ingageing the mulcher clutch. you then put the leaves in the top and they come out the bottom all mulched. [img]http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_62eccf6126b6b7b29229dc6788193284/i-1_B.JPG[/img]

IronPony
Thanks Maynard,(aka UCD) Sounds like it works like a limb shredder but you feed it leaves rather than limbs. And yes the one I saw is like the one in your picture. What are they worth? Dan

Dutch
The one on eBay last year was offered 2 or 3 times before it sold. My local dealer has (had?) a brand new he offered to sell me. They seem kind of worthless. Feed leaves in the top (by hand), and they come out the bottom shredded. Then you pick up that pile (by hand).

BLT
I have come to my own conclusion that your mower deck by itself is your best mulcher for leaves. If you get the leaves when they are generally dry you can shred them down in one or two passes. The benefit from this is you have no big leaves blowing around that you rake up in the spring. And breaking them down in the fall generally leaves no trace of them in the spring. Another benefit I found is that dry leaves do an excellent job of cleaning the underside mower deck getting rid of all that caked up grass.

IronPony
I was thinking about making an offer on a leaf mulcher but I tend to agree with Dutch. Now that its operation has been explained, I don't see any advantage in using one. Can the mulch be used for anything? Is that where the advantage is? Dan

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by howlanddm
I was thinking about making an offer on a leaf mulcher but I tend to agree with Dutch. Now that its operation has been explained, I don't see any advantage in using one. Can the mulch be used for anything? Is that where the advantage is? Dan
I guess the mulch can be used for whatever mulch is used for. Like BLT, my mower deck chops leaves fine enough, and spreads them good enough to suit me. If I get a build up of leaves in the fall, I hook the vac up. The vac will pick up the leaves, mulch them, and put them in a trailer for disposal or relocation in one automated operation without any hand work. As much as I like acquiring Allis attachments, the leaf shredder is just too big for me to store as an interesting oddity.